Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-15-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Mac user frustrated

I just got my Blackberry 8330 Curve from Verizon last week and am ready to give it back, but before I do, thought I'd check in here. First off, the Pocket Mac sync has not worked properly and I feel like I've already spent soooo many hours trying to figure out this phone that I'm loathe to spend more looking for alternate downloads thinking that they may not work either. (I have Missing Sync on my computer, but it is for the Palm operating system, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I don't want to trash it, because I may go back to it.)

 

I've repeatedly synched asking the computer to overwrite the device trying to get it right, and the end result is multiple entries on the Blackberry, with some items not transferred at all. Second, and perhaps most important, I find I miss the simplicity of my old Motorola where when I flipped open the top it told me in letters I could see that I had missed a call, had a new voice mail, etc., aside from the fact that the buttons were big enough to easily make a call (without using my fingernails).

 

When my phone goes off and I press the button to the right of the trackball, I never know what I'm going to see on my home screen. It seems to be dependent upon however I left it the last time. So I first have to go 'back, back, back' and then when I'm at the home screen (which I don't understand why I can't have more than 5 applications on it) I have to look up top and figure out why the phone rang, buzzed, or whatever (I haven't used it enough to recognize the various sounds I've attached to email, phone, text message). Alternatively, let's say I haven't been around my phone and I look at the screen, I find it hard to know whether I have any messages.

 

When I try to use the browser and connect to my webmail, for instance, the screen and options on it aren't exactly the same as on the site. Presumably I'll now have to call up my webmail provider and ask them what's up.

 

On the email page, is there a way to go to the top without scrolling, scrolling, scrolling (like a page up, page down, top of page, bottom of page)?

 

I'm trying not to be a whiner. Tons of people seem to love the Blackberry, but I realize it may not be for everyone. I'm a freelance photographer, not a corporate person with an IT department, a server, etc. Perhaps I'm just better off with a regular phone and a pda. I really wanted my phone directory and phone to work together. It seems to me that while it is possible to record appointments or new phone numbers & addresses and information onto the Blackberry, that it must be a real pain and time suck to do so. Then I would have to pray I can get the sync to work correctly. I'm sorry I can't be more brief about this, but I'm trying to figure out whether the Blackberry is capable of the simplicity I'm looking for and I just don't know how to achieve it, or whether I'm better off with an alternative system.

 

Thanks!

 

Guru I
Posts: 19,007
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Mac user frustrated


MB007 wrote:

I just got my Blackberry 8330 Curve from Verizon last week and am ready to give it back, but before I do, thought I'd check in here. First off, the Pocket Mac sync has not worked properly and I feel like I've already spent soooo many hours trying to figure out this phone that I'm loathe to spend more looking for alternate downloads thinking that they may not work either. (I have Missing Sync on my computer, but it is for the Palm operating system, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I don't want to trash it, because I may go back to it.)


Hello and welcome to the comunity of happy Blackberry owners !

For any matter regarding Mac stuff, I think you can post your questions & comments on the decicated Board. Go on the home page of the forum and click on "Blackberry for Mac".

 


MB007 wrote:

Second, and perhaps most important, I find I miss the simplicity of my old Motorola where when I flipped open the top it told me in letters I could see that I had missed a call, had a new voice mail, etc.,


You can change the Theme of your Blackberry and take "BB Dimension Today" that will tell you who called you as well as the two next appointments and the two most recent messages.

 


MB007 wrote:

aside from the fact that the buttons were big enough to easily make a call (without using my fingernails).


I like it small, otherwise the Blackberry would be so large ! It you wanted bigger keys, you should have bought a Pearl or a 8800.

 


MB007 wrote:

then when I'm at the home screen (which I don't understand why I can't have more than 5 applications on it)


Again, it depends on the Them. You seem to use the "BB Dimension Zen". Try the "BB Dimension Icon" or download another one on the internet.As far as I am concerned, I only have two applications on my Dimension Zen :Media and "Manage connections". All the other applications can be accessed by shortcuts : M for messages, L for calendar, A for Address book, etc.

 


MB007 wrote:

Alternatively, let's say I haven't been around my phone and I look at the screen, I find it hard to know whether I have any messages.


There are all the small pictures on top of the screen. If you don't see them very well, maybe you can change the wallpaper and take one that is less dark.

qq

 


MB007 wrote:

When I try to use the browser and connect to my webmail, for instance, the screen and options on it aren't exactly the same as on the site. Presumably I'll now have to call up my webmail provider and ask them what's up.


Usually, clever webmasters know browsing on a desktop screen and on a handheld screen is not the same, so they design different pages for each. There is usually a link to the Desktop version. But if you really don't like that, you can install Opera Mini on your Blackberry (it's free of charge).Anyway, that will also be the case with any PDA or smartphone, except the iPhone.

 


MB007 wrote:

On the email page, is there a way to go to the top without scrolling, scrolling, scrolling (like a page up, page down, top of page, bottom of page)?


yes, please read :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=13096&query.id=157615...

 


MB007 wrote:
It seems to me that while it is possible to record appointments or new phone numbers & addresses and information onto the Blackberry, that it must be a real pain and time suck to do so. Then I would have to pray I can get the sync to work correctly.

All that works fine for me.




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-15-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Mac user frustrated

Thanks for the responses. The shortcuts are great. I have made some progress since I wrote my initial message. Right now my biggest problem is that I can't get my Address book to sync properly. I've got the latest download, spent the whole morning at the Verizon store where they finally called Blackberry, and the fellow there believes my Address book is corrupted somehow. So tomorrow night I have to go spend the evening over at the Apple store and hope they can help.

 

By the way, do you think it's necessary to get the insurance on this phone? It's already costing me $100 a month for service.

Guru I
Posts: 19,007
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Mac user frustrated


MB007 wrote:

Right now my biggest problem is that I can't get my Address book to sync properly. I've got the latest download, spent the whole morning at the Verizon store where they finally called Blackberry, and the fellow there believes my Address book is corrupted somehow. So tomorrow night I have to go spend the evening over at the Apple store and hope they can help.


If you have a problem of address book synchronization, you can create a new discussion on that matter. If someone has been through that they will tell you.

 

But I don't know how the Apple store will help you on that matter.

 


MB007 wrote:
By the way, do you think it's necessary to get the insurance on this phone? It's already costing me $100 a month for service.

 

 no one can answer that... but an insurance is always useless unless something happens :smileywink:




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: