Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

tahamilton64
My Device: Not Specified

Mapping Application and GPS Location

I have a BB Curve on Verizon.   I have used the mapping application to locate local businesses.   When I try to map to those locations, the device wants to know my starting location.   How do I make it use my current GPS location?   It obviously knew where I was in order to tell me how close I was.

Contributor
StPeteMark
My Device: Alltel Curve 8330

Re: Mapping Application and GPS Location

Check with Verizon; I think you have to buy their GPS app, with an additional monthly cost, to use the GPS function. I remember reading this in another thread...right or wrong?

Contributor
upnorth

I tried to connect my Garmin Nuvi to the curve but could not do so. I have T-mobile service and have downloaded Google maps. It shows the approximate location and the best thing is that you can look up traffic conditions and surprisingly Google updates it frequently.
New Contributor
RickinCorona

Try Google Maps for handheld devices. It will use the GPS in your BB to locate you, but it's not all that accurate down to the street level.  Works great for the overall picture and traffic info.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

From what I have read on both this forum and Crackberry's Verizon 8330 GPS is not enabled unless you pay for VZ Navigator. However, Google maps uses cell towers as well to triangulate your position, if your GPS is disabled. Google Maps works real well, as long as you can live with being APPROXIMATLEY on a location. In my case I am within 5,000 meters while at home. When I travel downtown I've had it go to within 500 meters. I believe that difference is the amount of cell towers in the area.

Google maps is free, VZnavigator is a monthly fee of around $10 I think.

Hope this helps!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter