Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
calderwood
My Device: Curve on T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Mass Storage Error Message

I have an 8gb msd card in the 8320, mass storage is ON, but when I access the phone through the Roxio media manager, it hgives the message "Please Activate the Mass Stoge Mode on your Device". Have tried it on and off, nothing. I can see the phones memory storage. There are photos from the camera stored on the card, which I can see from the phone. Also I can't see the phone through the XP explorer.

All other sync functions seem to work.

Please use plain text.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Mass Storage Error Message

When you have Mass Storage ON - and your device (with unlocked keyboard) is connected to the desktop computer - in "My computer" there is additional removable drive appears, that represents your device micro-sd card.

And you can transfer files directrly to your device memory card.

Only one limitation - you have to disconnect your device from computer before access files on media card from your device.

Please use plain text.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Mass Storage Error Message

Please use plain text.
Contributor
calderwood
My Device: Curve on T-Mobile

Re: Mass Storage Error Message - FIXED

Thanks for the responses but none solved the issue. I did find the answer on another forum and will post the fis here as it is a common problem.

The phone (which was new out of the box from T-Mobile Dec. 30th 2008) did not have the correct operating software for T-Mobile. The version on the phone was 4.0.X (very old - makes me wonder on the history of the phone) and the media manager software was also 4.1.X - the required version for Desktop Manager is 4.6.x and for the phone version 4.5.x

You must first install the correct Desktop Manager to you computer, then open that and install the new operating system to the phone (takes a couple of hours), then you have to reactivate all email accounts, programs and the phone itself.

Issues that the upgrade fixed:

Media card access

Media manager

Sync

Address book

and many other things.

Now, if anyone has a suggestion for a good media manager that works with Blackberry, I'd be really happy as the Roxio is a memory hog and is clunky and slow. Blackberry needs to find a better partner.

My final words - why with a brand new phone, can't I get this advice from BB support? I guess there is no support.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

calderwood wrote:

The phone (which was new out of the box from T-Mobile Dec. 30th 2008) did not have the correct operating software for T-Mobile. The version on the phone was 4.0.X (very old - makes me wonder on the history of the phone) and the media manager software was also 4.1.X - the required version for Desktop Manager is 4.6.x and for the phone version 4.5.x

is this possible ? 4.0 OS on a Curve ?????

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

calderwood wrote:

Now, if anyone has a suggestion for a good media manager that works with Blackberry, I'd be really happy as the Roxio is a memory hog and is clunky and slow. Blackberry needs to find a better partner.

what do you expect from a Media manager ? I don't use any and can transfer my music to my device in just a few seconds.
About the Roxio Media Manager quality, I think many people have trouble with it indeed.

calderwood wrote:

My final words - why with a brand new phone, can't I get this advice from BB support? I guess there is no support.

Your first support is your carrier hotline. In case it does not work out, they are supposed to forward you to the RIM hotline for free. If your carrier hotline refuses to, you can buy a hotline ticket incident at RIM by going to the bottom of this page and click the "CONTACT US" link.
apart from that, you have the community forum that usually helps people quite well.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.