Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
vsny
My Device: Not Specified

Mass Storage Mode Support with restrictive IT policy

I have been confused about what is possible with my microSD card and my IT policy.  I have an 8320

My IT policy sets-

Media Card Support: On

Encryption Mode: Security Password & Device

Encrypt Media Files: Yes

Mass Storage Mode Support: Off (with a red lock)

I was able to format the card but how do I get files onto my SD card?

I can see the SD card with BBFileScout.  So I assume I can put files on the standard memory and move then to the card.  I also assume I can email and save files to the SD card.  However I would not be able to email myself very large files.

I have seen many postings about this topic, they mostly say you are SOL however I think they are referring to MSMS.  I'm sure there must be other options if I can see the storage using BBFileScout.

What are my other options?  Is there a program where I can access my PC files with wifi or USB and copy files from the blackberry?

I saw one program where I can access my PC using a server and client on BB.  However will this work with my IT policy?  Is there something simpler, particularly through USB?

I tried using media sync - but it's either greyed out (from the desktop manager) or it tells me I have to run it as an admin (standalone app).  When I run it as an admin it does not recognize my BB.  I am running Vista x64.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Mass Storage Mode Support with restrictive IT policy

Mass Storage Mode is what enables your BB to be seen by your PC as a drive (or drives). With it locked to off, I don't think there is anything that can override the IT Policy. So, SOL...I think you are.

BTW == BBFileScout is a device app, is it not? It therefore has nothing to do with access via USB...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vsny
My Device: Not Specified

I guess I still don't understand (or maybe don't give up so easily).  I don't care if I can access the card using windows explorer.  

I can still copy files while on the blackberry to the SD card, right?  I was able to format the card.  That means I can email myself and save or copy them to the SD card?  I was thinking I can use BBFileScout for this.

Isn't there BB apps that can access a host PC?  Either through USB or WIFI?  With access to the host PC then can I copy files to my SD card?

I understand the card is encrypted to I cannot drag files from the PC.  But if the BB can both access the SD card and my computer, then I should be able to copy files OTA or through USB.

I'm pretty new to the Blackberry OS, I've only used windows mobile before.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

OK...here's a KB that explains Mass Storage Mode:

KB11879 Mass storage mode

Outside of DTM OS updating, anything that you want to do, via USB or BT, between your BB and your PC depends on Mass Storage Mode to function. Without it, you cannot move files to/from your BB/PC via USB or BT. Nada. So, your question about a "BB apps that can access a host PC" is what I'm addressing...without Mass Storage Mode, there's nothing to be done.

In a perfect world, you'd be able to enable MSM and, when you tether to your PC, you'd have 2 additional drive letters...one for Device Memory and the other for the Media Card, and you'd be able to, from Windows, manipulate those drives just like any other. Without MSM, you will not have the media card drive letter visible to the PC. What I am not sure of is if you can still see Device Memory from the PC with MSM disabled...you'll have to try that for yourself and see. If you can indeed see and manipulate Device Memory from your PC (as a drive letter), then your theory may be true...you may be able to (when tethered via USB) place files onto Device Memory from your PC and then, on the BB, move them to the media card (and reversing the process to get something from the media card to the PC).

As for the means of getting files onto the BB -- yes, emailing and then saving the file (on the BB) will work...with the target of the save being either Device or Media Card Memory (doing this on the device makes the state of MSM moot). BBFileScout won't help with this step...it's a BB core function to save an attachment that came with an email out to the device. But, BBFileScout will come into play if you want to move/copy/etc the file after you have saved it somewhere...but, since you can save (on the BB) direct to the Media Card, the only reason to have to move it after the fact is if you've accidentally saved it to the wrong place.

As for accessing a host PC from the BB -- I've not seen that. The only things I've seen are the other direction...connectivity initiated and managed by the PC, basically with the PC as Master and the BB as a slave set of USB drives -- which requires MSM.

I'm not sure if I've addressed everything clearly or not...let's keep chatting and I'm sure we'll get there.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.