Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Media app does not see all the Albums on my 4Gb SDHC card

I have loaded a little over 1Gb of mp3 files onto my 4Gb SDHC card, all sync'ed using Windows Media Player.  When I try to see the albums on my 8310 using the Media app and selecting the Music icon then Albums, I can only see a fraction of them.  If I go to the Media app and select "Explore" I can see the files and play them. 

I'm using the latest version of device software as of July 26 when I last checked.  Any idea how I can get the albums to show in the Media/Music/Album view?

Roger 

Re: Media app does not see all the Albums on my 4Gb SDHC card

I too am experiencing the same problem.  I have over 2 G of music yet when i shuffle, it only plays form three of my over 30 albums....help.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

rknopf wrote:

I have loaded a little over 1Gb of mp3 files onto my 4Gb SDHC card, all sync'ed using Windows Media Player.  When I try to see the albums on my 8310 using the Media app and selecting the Music icon then Albums, I can only see a fraction of them.  If I go to the Media app and select "Explore" I can see the files and play them.

Hi,

the files are accessible with Media app. Meaning there was no problem during the transfer between your PC and your Blackberry. So what's going on ?

=> let's explain things. How can an album be created on your Blackberry ? => It never is !

haha.

at some point, the Media app will look at all your media files, read them, especially their ID3Tag, and do some sorting to create "albums". The ID3tag contains artistidc informations regarding a music file : name of the song, artist name, album, date, style, track number and so on.

The Media App will seek through each mp3 and get its album name, and create all the albums that way.

For some reason, it seems that for some music files, it doesn't work. Two reasons for that :

• maybe the album is not filled in in the id3tag of the file
  • maybe the album is filled but media couldn't see it 

To know which is right, take one song you don't see in the album but see in the media. Look the file in Windows Media Player and look at it's ID3tag. Is the Album field filled in ? If so, then you're in case two.

I don't know, try a soft reboot (remove the battery of your blackberry, wait 2minutes, plug it in again, then wait 5mins for the Blackberry to reinitialize. See if the files appear in their correct album now.

HTH

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

I'm having the same problem, and it doesn't seem to be tied to ID tags.  In fact, even after deleting the few songs that DO show up in the Media app, they still show up as there (but don't play).  How do I refresh what the Media app thinks is on the SDHC card?
Guru I

flyonwall wrote:
I'm having the same problem, and it doesn't seem to be tied to ID tags.  In fact, even after deleting the few songs that DO show up in the Media app, they still show up as there (but don't play).  How do I refresh what the Media app thinks is on the SDHC card?

Hello,

this is a completely different problem, I suggest you to open anothe discussion. The original problem is : "make files appear in the Media player". Your problem is : "some files are there, but the Media Player can't read them".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Took me a while getting back to the forum on this, as I have found a workaround - but not solved my ultimate problem.

First, to respond to Xandrex's question: the album tags are all filled in and correct when examined by Windows Media Player.

Second, at first, I could find the files by going to the Media app, choosing to Explore, and I can navigate to the folders and either play a file, play all files, or play a folder.  Album information is not displayed (cover is mainly what I notice).  The path is /Media Card/Music/<performer name>/<album name>/<file>.mp3.  For example, now playing /Media Card/Music/Cream/Wheels of Fire Disc 2/01 Crossroads[Live].mp3.

BUT NOW after many days when I open the Media app, and select Music - everything is there!!!  So I guess the real problem was that somehow Media did not know about them and something happened later to cause it to discover it.  I don't know what that is, but I absolutely know that one day the albums were not there via the Music app but were playable by Exploring to find them, and the next they were there in the Music app.

Go figure.  Anyone has any insight into this, I would greatly appreciate an explanation and specific steps to get all this there.

Although initially I loaded a couple albums by copying them to the media card, everything else got there by sync'ing with Windows Media Player.

Puzzled but playing music,

Roger

Guru I

rknopf wrote:

BUT NOW after many days when I open the Media app, and select Music - everything is there!!!  So I guess the real problem was that somehow Media did not know about them and something happened later to cause it to discover it.  I don't know what that is, but I absolutely know that one day the albums were not there via the Music app but were playable by Exploring to find them, and the next they were there in the Music app.

Hello,

I got the info meanwhile...

Remember when the iPod first came out ? It was a long time ago. At that time, you couldn't just drop mp3 on the iPod because it needed the file to be processed by itunes first. The processing was... indexation. All the id3tags had to be computed and put in another format that the ipod could read.

Today, it works fine for the iPod/iPhone and... for the blackberry. You drop the files, they are indexed automatically.

problem with the curve, is that it takes a very long time (a few minutes up to a few hours (even longer for you) !). So what happened is just that when you were doing something else, your Blackberry was silently working to read all the new files and put them in its own database.

Conclusion is : just wait :smileyhappy:

BBL
New Contributor

Xandrex wrote:

rknopf wrote:

Hello,

I got the info meanwhile...

Remember when the iPod first came out ? It was a long time ago. At that time, you couldn't just drop mp3 on the iPod because it needed the file to be processed by itunes first. The processing was... indexation. All the id3tags had to be computed and put in another format that the ipod could read.

Today, it works fine for the iPod/iPhone and... for the blackberry. You drop the files, they are indexed automatically.

problem with the curve, is that it takes a very long time (a few minutes up to a few hours (even longer for you) !). So what happened is just that when you were doing something else, your Blackberry was silently working to read all the new files and put them in its own database.

Conclusion is : just wait :smileyhappy:

Enlightening info! Let me offer my dilemma. I had several play lists loaded (through Media Sync) in my 8310 Curve which showed up and were played well as expected until I loaded a few GatAbstract book abstracts through file dropping from my PC to my Curve. After that, I have only ~20 songs showed up in Media play files but all are still in my Curve through Explore function and I still can play them (through Explore function). I tried to resync the music and that didn't change anything. I've read through the thread on "999 file limit" but I only have ~200 songs and ~10 book abstracts. So, the limit shouldn't be a problem for me unless somehow each Abstract consists of >8 files......... Any ideas?

BBL

Guru I

what's an "abstract" ? is it a PDF ?

BBL
New Contributor

No, I believe they are MP3 or similar audio files. My Blackberry plays them as music files. But, I can't find them through "explore" function since I can only see MusicSync files through Explore and I dropped the Abstract files when transfering them to my blackberry. Does that help?

BBL