Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
sunenihs

Media card restarts phone

Hi all,

I just got the Curve 8320 from being a Pearl 8100 user for over a year. I love the phone, but my 4GB Sandisk media card that I've been using in the Pearl continually restarts my Curve. It'll reset, go through the Verifing Security Software.. then reset all over . Over and over and over. And the phone works fine without it in.

I occasionally had problems with my Pearl not recognizing the media card, but nothing like this. I'm wondering if it's the Curve that's the problem or the media card?

Anyone experience the same problems?

Thanks!

Lacey 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart

Re: Media card restarts phone

Hey sunenihs,

It is definitely the media card that needs to be adjusted if the phone works fine without it. What you need to do is backup the media card on your computer, then format the card from your blackberry. It will recreate all the folders on the card. Next is the important step: only copy the files you want e.g. pictures, music, documents over to the card (do not drag and drop entire folders!). Be careful not to copy any other files with .dat or other unknown extensions...these files were created by the previous phone and are likely the cause of problems. This should work for you and then you can enjoy your phone and the convenience of a media card.

Cheers,

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sunenihs

I should format the card on my old or new BB? Cause I don't think that my Curve will stay on long enough to be able to do that. It's an immediate shut off.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart

You should format it on the new blackberry if possible. If not then format it with a card reader using your pc then insert it in the phone and format it again from the new phone. If you don't have a card reader, put it in the old phone and make sure it shows up as a drive on your pc. Right click the drive and format. Once completed, remove it immediately and put it into the new phone and format again from that phone (not with the pc)
Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sunenihs

That did the trick! Thank you so very much!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
sudsy
My Carrier: SaskTel

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. My rollerball crapped out so I exchanged (don"t ask me why, long story) my old phone for a refurbished one. We removed the media card and put it in the new (refurbished) phone.

My question is regarding the formatting of the media card. I'm sorry. but how do i go about formatting the old card?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

sudsy wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. My rollerball crapped out so I exchanged (don"t ask me why, long story) my old phone for a refurbished one. We removed the media card and put it in the new (refurbished) phone.

My question is regarding the formatting of the media card. I'm sorry. but how do i go about formatting the old card?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is a KB with instructions:

• KB10527 Media card cannot be read. Verify that the memory card is formatted

Hopefully it contains something useful!

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
varun9000
My Carrier: idea

sir,

i am also getting the same problem . i am using blackberry 9810 , and when i put my media card in it , it restarts mt phone again and again . i have put another media card and getting the same problem . then i deleted all  the folders and uploaded music files and pictures only . then again i am getting the same problem . please solve my problem

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

varun9000 wrote:

sir,

i am also getting the same problem . i am using blackberry 9810 , and when i put my media card in it , it restarts mt phone again and again . i have put another media card and getting the same problem . then i deleted all  the folders and uploaded music files and pictures only . then again i am getting the same problem . please solve my problem

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If you wish to fully test, then please try this sequence:

1. Obtain an known good and already formatted (for BB) Media Card...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB that has none of these issues...use your media card in it and see what happens

The simplest method to do this test is to find someone with an identical BB/media card who has no issues. Trade media cards and see what happens. You may want to first caution the other person to be sure they have a full copy (to their computer) of their media card contents. The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your media card that has the problem.

• If your BB works fine with their media card, yet their BB fails with yours, then it is your media card
  • But, if their BB works fine with your media card, and your BB fails with their card, then it's your BB that is the problem...likely the media card reader itself, which is a hardware issue requiring in-hand evaluation by a qualified BB hardware technician.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.