Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
FishMA
My Device: Not Specified

Menu items do not appear

I bought a curve 8330 this week.  I have updated the Desktop Manager.  My email seems to work fine.  However, I wish to change my Signature from the default.  The BB documentation offer three approaches: 1) using Desktop Manager, 2) BB Internet Services, and 3) the device.

For Desktop Manager the instructions tell me to Open Desktop Manager and Double-click Email Settings.  My Desktop manager does not have a Icon, link, menu item, etc. for "Email Settings".

Using the phone, the instructions tell me to click "Messages", then menu and select "Options". Then to click "Email Settings" and to set the "Use Auto Signature" field to "Yes".  Following these steps through clicking Email Settings, a screen appears but does not list "Use Auto Signature".

What am I doing wrong or what have I not done to access my singature?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor
juwaack68
My Device: 9850 Torch

Re: Menu items do not appear

Welcome to the forums.

Some additional information would be helpful.  Can you tell us:

- What carrier are you using (Sprint, Verizon, etc)

- Is your device connected to a BES (corporate BlackBerry server) or is it for personal email only?

- Did you try the 2nd option below for logging into your BB Internet Service (aka "BIS") and update the signature there?

If you find a post here helpful, please consider giving the poster some Kudos
New Contributor
FishMA

I am using Verizon and I also only use my personal email address. I have not tried the second option yet, mostly because I am not quite sure what it involves.

New Contributor
FishMA

Here is some more info on my menu problem.  When I start Desktop Manager this is what I see: A rectangular window with a Black band labeled "Main Menu" on the left.  On the far right are menu items for "Options" and "Help".  In the panel below are five items, Application Loader, Backup and Restore, Device Switching Wizard, Media, and Synchronize. At the bottom of the window there is a link to "Check for Updates".

None of these lead to a choice of Email Settings.

My Desktop Manager is version 4.7.

It appears that some things are missing.  Suggestions would be helpful.

Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

The Email Settings in the Desktop Manager is only present if you installed the software with the BlackBerry Enterprise option. Since you're not using a BES this is why you don't have the Email Settings icon in the Desktop Manager.

Also if you're on a BES, when you go into the Email Settings icon, you would into the corporate email account to setup the signature. Again, since you're not on a BES you don't have that choice.

So the last step for you is to do it on Verizon's BIS website - https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en

Just log into the site. Under the Email Accounts section you can edit your email account(s) and change the signature.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor
FishMA

Thanks, however with a question.  Is the username and password something that I already have?  The text for new users reads as thought that is for folks that are not already using the BB for email.  Since I am it does not seem appropriate.

My BB was setup by the kid at the Verizon store.  He asked me my email address and had me enter the email password, and I was on my way.  Would my email address and password be my BB Internet Services info as well?

Elite I
jmrmb80

He asked for your personal email address and password to setup your email account right?

If that's the case you need to go under the Create Account button. You have to have a username/password to log into the site and make changes to the email accounts you already have setup on the device. After you hit the Create Account button, you can find the information they require under Options | Status on the device.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor
FishMA

When I follow your instructions I am asked to enter my pin and ESN.  When I do, I am told that an account already exists for that device.
New Contributor
FishMA

To make this worse.  On the login for existing accounts, I selected "forgot my password", and entered my PIN.  I received an email back from BB telling me that my user name and password do not exist.
Elite I
jmrmb80

If the device belonged to someone else first they should've called the carrier to release the PIN so that you could've set up the email on the device. Did you buy it in a store or from someone else?

You can try calling the carrier to see if they can release the pin number so that you can setup the account.