Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
sjowett
My Device: Curve 8350i
My Carrier: Verizon

Messages List and Email Checking Question

Is there a way to list ONLY emails in the Messages screen?  I don't want to see Twitter alerts or call log info, JUST emails.

Also, is there way a to check for emails manually?  When I am home, I don't care about getting the emails on my phone so I want to be able to set how often it checks.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Messages List and Email Checking Question

If you hit the green phone icon, hit the menu button and go into Options. From there go into Call Logging. You can set this to None to prevent the calls from appear in Messages. Not sure about Twitter as I don't use that app. There may be an option for that as well.

There isn't an option to check for email manually. If you're on a BES then emails will be delivered at the same time as in your email client. If you're using a POP account like Hotmail then it will poll for new email every 15 minutes. If your using an IMAP account  like Gmail then it's delivered almost instantaneously to the device. You can disable an email account but then you have to remember to re enable it to continue to get emails to the device.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sjowett

Ahh, the first one was so obvious and I sooo missed it, ha... I was in there earlier just going through things to go through them and didn't even read the top, "Show These Call Log Types in Message List".

As for the email, I have my own domain through POP.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80

OK, then your email will poll every 15 minutes or so to check for new messages. So you can disable/reenable the accounts each night. If you just don't want to be notified of emails at night you can change your profile to Silent or Phone Only.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sjowett

How do I turn off the email, just delete it from the list?

Also, how can I adjust the settings for the keyboard light, it goes off waaay too soon and only comes back on when I'm typing alot or fast but I want it on all the time when I'm using it.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80

If you're under Setup or Personal Email Setup and can select the account, hit the menu button and choose Filters. From here you can scroll to the bottom and set the filter to not forward email to the device. When you want to change it go back in and change it back to forward messages to the device.

You can change that setting under Options | Screen/Keyboard. Change the back light timeout

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sjowett

I changed the email settings, hopefully that will work.

I am still having a problem with the keyboard light.. I have it set to 100 and 2 mins but I just sent a text message and it didn't come on at all.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

You just need to get used to the email coming, as it should. Disabling and re-enabling your BIS accounts will get old pretty quick. Just edit your profiles or set them to silent at night.

For the keyboard light, it is lit according to the ambient light (or darkness) in the room. Try holding your hand over the upper right LED on the device. After a couple of seconds, does the keyboard light brighten?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sjowett

I don't want to be getting my email on my phone all day when I am in the same room as my computer. If it only took the email that was on the server that would be okay but it intercepts every email I get, which I don't want it to do.

Yes, it turns on when I do that, how do I make it stay on longer or based on when I am using the keyboard and not based on the brightness of my surroundings.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

sjowett wrote:

I don't want to be getting my email on my phone all day when I am in the same room as my computer. If it only took the email that was on the server that would be okay but it intercepts every email I get, which I don't want it to do.

Yep, working as designed. I'm sorry you don't like it this way, but that is how BlackBerry was designed to work.

sjowett wrote:

Yes, it turns on when I do that, how do I make it stay on longer or based on when I am using the keyboard and not based on the brightness of my surroundings.

You want the keyboard to light EVEN when you don't need it, like middle of the day outside in bright sun or in the office? That'll waste down the battery, but I bet it you look around around there could be a third party application which might do this, to keep your keyboard brightly lit all the time. Check App World and Mobihand.com

And while you're shopping about, go ahead and buy an extra battery and/or battery, you'll need it if you find a way to keep your keyboard lit.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.