Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
selly
My Device: Not Specified

Mobile Device(s) "Friendly" Web Sites?

Nothing short of an obligatory "Google" search for "Web sites which are user friendly/supported by mobile devices" (which suffers the requester to endure a plethora of web site advertisements) has anyone found a good website listing web pages which are indeed mobile device friendly? I have learned through exhaustive searches that not all (typical PC) web sites lend themselves to our Blackberry devices as either 'usable' or even 'viewable'. I believe the term is WAP (mobile device 'friendly'). Thanks friends!
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Mobile Device(s) "Friendly" Web Sites?

WAP is an old protocol, the equivalent of HTTP, fur for handheld devices. It's really old.
You can have handheld-friendly websites that are using regular http, but the code in it is made to be easily read on a small screen. There are many IT magazines that list the "TOP 10 mobile sites", for example : http://www.pocketpcmag.com/bestsites.htm

for example, look at the ask wensite, or yahoo, or m.facebook.com . It's not wap, but nevertheless designed for handheldd navigation.

But you can use Opera Mini for Blackberry too : Opera will take the webpage and format it so it's readable on your small screen.

Last thing, if you use google.com and search for a website, when you click in the results, instead of going on the website, you are redirected to a special page that Google creates dynamically for you so basically, it's the regular website, that will fit in your screen. the functionnality is called "Mobilzer" IIRC.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
selly
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Mobile Device(s) "Friendly" Web Sites?

Hi Xandrex.....Great response. Thanks for taking the time. I found your explanation(s) very informative and will apply this to future "web browsing". As a new user (BB curve 8320/T-Mobile) I was unfamiliar with the term/acronym(?) WAP. Didn't know if most web sites had a 'mobile browser friendly' equivalent preferred for our handheld devices........Regards!