Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

farre20h
My Device: Not Specified

My Curve keeps shutting off...

I just got a refurbished Curve 8310 a few days ago from AT&T and it has one fault. Four times during conversations and once while I was getting a call, the entire phone shut down. The light in the upper right corner went red and the screen went black. When the screen came back up, it was white with an hourglass. Despite taking out the battery and holding down the power off button, the phone doesn't reboot for about five minutes. This seems to happen to a lot of people but none seem to have a solution. Please help!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Gerko
My Device: Not Specified

Re: My Curve keeps shutting off...

Did you have the same issue with your first device?

Does this happen only during calls?

Is it the same people that you are talking to when this happens?

Did you get a new battery when you got your new BlackBerry, and if not what device did you have previously? 

I would be tempted to reinstall the software for the Curve, but to test if is a data problem you could always backup your BlackBerry from the Desktop Manager ( Backup / Restore >Backup >Save )

Then perform a Wipe on your BlackBerry **NOTE this will wipe out ALL personal information from the BlackBerry including but not limited to email accounts and any connection to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. That is why you performed a backup. If you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server you will have to call your IT dept or regenerate encryption keys from the Desktop Manager. If you are not on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server but have email accounts on your device, you will have to send yourself "Service Books" from your device through the Setup icon or from your carrier's web site.

Go to : Options >Security Options >General Settings >Click the menu button and choose "Wipe Handheld"

Test the BlackBerry for the next while, trying to make it fail. If it doesn't fail then your issue was with your data.

If it does fail, then it is either the saoftware or the hardware.

NOTE ** if after wiping your device your Curve does not crash on calls, then it is advised that you do not restore from your backup (at least not anything associated with the phone application (phone, phone options, profiles, or address book databases.) If you sync with a mail client you can get your address information back. All other databases would be safe to restore within the advanced feature of Backup / Restore in the Desktop Manager.

Please use plain text.