Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
ShannonJ
My Device: Not Specified

My Phone Won't Power On..

Could someone please help me, I've had this phone for 3 months, and this has happened to me twice before but I always managed to get the phone back on. 

Okay, almost every night I charge the battery -- last night I did not and the phone was working fine it was laying on my nightstand with no known problems.  When the alarm didn't go off (like it does every morning) I immediately looked at it and thought it the battery had died overnight.  I've been trying to charge the phone for about 8 hours and still it won't even flash RED when i plug in the cord.  Could someone please help!  I don't have the insurance on this phone and the warranty has expired already.  

(I tried putting a small thin piece of cardboad behind the SIM card thinking that maybe the sim card wasnt reading - but like I said it still didn't help.  I've tried reinserting the battery -- all to no avail!!)  SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance.

JSanders
Solutions: 6,030
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My Phone Won't Power On..

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage).

If it doesn't boot--try using a wall outlet charger if you are not. If you are connected via USB to the PC, make certain that you have Desktop Manager (or the USB device drivers) installed, which you can download below.

Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

Download Desktop Manager from here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
ShannonJ

Thank you for the quick response, but this didn't do anything......is there anything else I can do before I have to go out and buy a brand new phone?  Thanks.
JSanders

So.... that didn't "do anything", what did happen?

Any blinking LED lights, a white screen, any symnbol on the screen... anything you can help us help you with?

Did it start smoking?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
ShannonJ

No....nothing at all.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong idk.  But I did just as you said (connected the UBS to the back of the computer, etc.) The screen didn't come on the lights did not blink.....I figure at this point the phone is just done
JSanders

[ Edited ]

Honestly, 99% of BlackBerrys are recoverable, in my experience. Those that are not have some hardware or moisture damage.

From your post, yours seems within recovery. I would say follow the exact directions above, again. Let it charge on a charger that YOU know is good, like a wall outlet charger. 

Get another battery, fully charged, and try it.

Message Edited by JSanders on 04-17-2009 08:56 AM

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
ShannonJ

So is there anything else that you can suggest?
JSanders

I did. Try a wall charger.

Let it sit and charge for several hours where you KNOW it is charging and with it STILL connected, remove the battery and reboot.

Try another fully charged battery.

You could have a bad USB port that has come loose... hardware problem. 

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
ShannonJ

Thanks I will try this RIGHT NOW and let you know what happens ASAP....thanks so much for the assistance and all the very usefull information.   

I'm sorry but I have one more question (this is my very first blackberry -- so I'm not that good with some of the terms) but by re-booting you mean ---------->remove the battery while it STILL charging.....and this should re-boot it, is that right?

JSanders

A valid question!

Yes, removing the battery a few seconds and replacing it in the device will initiate a "boot up" of the device.

So in this case, LEAVE it plugged where you know it is charging (you may see the LED blink yellow-green at first, that is good, and it should if it is charging). After several hours, leave it plugged into the charger and remove the battery a few seconds and replace it... does the boot up sequence begin?

Knowledge Base Updates