Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
callyflower
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
Accepted Solution

My Yahoo mail contacts keep disappearing.

Twice in the last 2 weeks my Yahoo contacts have disappeared when I've gone to my PC to compose an email.  The contacts remain on my Blackberry but it seems like if I email the contact with my BB, then the contact gets removed from my PC.  Does anyone know what I can do to keep them both places?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbuske
My Device: Blacckberry 9630

Re: My Yahoo mail contacts keep disappearing.

Hello and thank you for posting, 

this sounds like an issue with the syncronization. Do you have synchronization on your phone enabled? If so, have you checked the settings which are used to synchronize? For example there are ways to do one way synchronizations to your phone or to the computer only or two way synchronizations in both ways. In addition it can be defined, how conflicts are dealt with, etc.  

I know when I sync'ed two ways, I sometimes had issues like that as well. Sometimes my contacts got overwritten or changed - though they never disappeared. I did also get a message, where it told me what happened to the contacts, like where they would be changed / added / deleted, etc. 

For me personally this got quite anoying and I went with turning off synchronization for contacts. Mainly for two reasons: The contacts on my phone and on my mail account are pretty much set and if/when a new contact is added, it could be added on both, phone and account easily and without that much time lost and secondly, I use Google for my private mails, which stores contacts that I have contacted automatically in the address book. This is a good thing, but I do not need all those contacts on my phone, which is primarily a work piece. Hence, if I would need such a contact on my phone, I would add it manually.  

Since I need most of my phone contacts on my mail account however, I have gone to turn on one way sync from phone to the computer, but not the other way round. This way everything I add on the phone - for example when I am at an appointment with a customer - is added on my web account / outlook as well, but not the other way round. For me, since I am visiting people a lot, I usually in 99% add people into the phone first and then sync them on the computer... It is very rare, that I get to add a contact on the computer first. 

Not sure if that is of help, but I would suggest to check the sync settings and maybe turn them off. You can do so by going to your email configuration - open the account in question - on the very bottom, it says synchronization - highlight there what you want to sync and do not want to sync. 

In addition on the desktop manager you can set, whether you want to sync your BB and computer information and how you want to do it. If you do a two way sync, you could for example tell BB Desktop Manager to only sync from and to a specific folder. This would prevent manipulation of any contacts which are not in that folder, yet allow you to sync your contacts in both ways. You would just have to live with the fact, that you either have to leave them in that folder, or copy (maybe at least the important contacts), in the other, main folder. This way they are still in the sync folder and won't sync again and again, yet they are also in your other / main folder and remain untouched. 

Sincerely, 

Ben

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
callyflower
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

Thank you!  Problem solved!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbuske
My Device: Blacckberry 9630

You are welcome. 

Glad it worked, 

Ben

Please use plain text.