Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

My phone just blew up :S

Hi there.
I was sitting in the living room this evening, minding my own business and out of the blue, my Blackberry Curve 9320 just explodes! I cant explain how or why, it was not in a hot room, I don't know why it exploded. The scary fact is, if I had popped to the shops and it exploded.... well.... where would me and my dog be living right now?! It is just a ball of plastic gone wrong! Iv'e never seen or heard anything like this, a phone blowing up??? I'm just stunned. My table has been burnt a little, it was like a small ball of fire!
Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My phone just blew up :S

I'd love to see a picture.

I've read lots of BlackBerry user stories in 10 years, I have never ever never heard of one self-exploding.

So it exploded yet remains a ball plastic?

Did debris go everywhere?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Yep, that's a first for me too.

That being said, if what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it's not, it sounds like a Lithium battery fire. A Google search will reveal lots of them with laptops. There are protections built into batteries to prevent this but it still does happen.

Pics please!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Wow! That packet looking thing is the battery. I'd say you had a thermal runaway on the battery. I'd definitely notify your carrier of what happened. I'm not sure how they'll handle it but you should let them know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

When was the last time you had taken the battery out prior to the fire?

Who is Mathew Growcoot/Newsteam and how'd his name get on your photo?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru II

Good catch, Mr. Sanders! According to Google he's a photographer. Looks like that pic came from the following site

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

BB141, where did you get that photo?

Yea, I had googled it also. Once in while I know the answer to a question before I ask it. Oh well...

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

That is me and it is New Steam.