Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
smashmup821
My Device: BlackBerry 8310 v4.2
Accepted Solution

Need help Newbee 2 the blackberry 8310 having problems

I've had this phone for about 6 months now and since I've owned it every once and awhile it will delete all my text messages and call log all by itself, it will only keep the saved texts and if i havent open the message yet, I took it back from where i bought it and they told me it needed a update and gave me website, I did it and it worked 4 awhile but now its back 2 the same old stuff. Any help???? THANKS 
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Need help Newbee 2 the blackberry 8310 having problems

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you are having memory issues.

Go to OPTIONS - STATUS  Write down the numbers for file free and file total.

After that, pull the battery with the phone ON and leave it out for a minute,

replace it and write the numbers again.

Please send the numbers back.

Thanks.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
smashmup821

Thanks for the help, neways with the phone on 9,516,288 free and 54,919,168 total  after taking the battery out and turning back on 9,489,216 free and 54,919,168 total and the other thing I forgot to mention on the issues I'm having is it will freeze up with the hourglass spinning, sometimes just for a min and other times for like 5 minutes, and sometime I have to take the battery out to get it to quit.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Sorry to make you wait, I was doing some research.

You have low free memory left on your device. I usually average around 45 to 46 mgb.

Do you have a lot of third party applications on your BB weather, icall,bbalerts etc?

I do not know your experience level, so if you know this I'm sorry but please read and let me

know if this applies to your use of the device.

Most people close the applications by pressing the escape or red key. This does not close the applications.

Each application has a CLOSE option. For instance if you are in the calendar hit the menu key (spotted key) and scroll down to the bottom CLOSE is listed. Go through each application and press close. Go into the browser press menu and options select cache operations clear all categories and hit escape it will say cleaning memory.

Go to options - security - memory cleaning - enable it. The BB will now clean memory when idle for 5 minutes.

you will have an icon on you screen for memory cleaning make sure you press it.

And make hitting the Close button a habit ! :smileyhappy:

This is a link to a post by Tanzim for increasing the memory on your device, I would do every step you can. The more device memory you free up, the faster and smoother your device will run.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=9225#M9225 

Please let me know if you need help with this, or at least please post back and we'll see how much better the device memory looks.

Thanks,

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-28-2008 12:11 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor
smashmup821

Ok not problem on the wait I'm just glad for the help, Neways I did what he said to do on the link and now the numbers read on file free and total, free-10,278,365 and total-54,919,168 And as for your question about apps that I run on my phone really nothing I have a weather channel link and I do use my GPS here and there I have some music on my SD card, not really any pics, I do have alot of ring tones and I do have alot of MMS message saved (jokes/pics).  I really only use my phone for texting and the GPS, and the internet here and there, I'm gonna do that I-tunes download that I seen on the blackberry site if that matters, but I went to the options then security but i dont see anything labeled memory cleaning? And i didnt understand the browser part you were talking about ,browser as far as the internet? I'm new to all this stuff sorry for all the trouble but slowly I'm learing this is the neatest phone, really amazing, I'm sure theres alot to learn on this thing is there some kinda book or manual that I can buy to understand it more? Thank you so much

Guru I
Bifocals

Hi:

The Internet icon is the browser!

Start the internet and press the menu key Options - Browser cache- clear all. Make sure you do this on a at least daily basis. You may not have the option for the memory cleaning. We made some progress in the file free numbers, but we should aim for at least 30mb free. When you look in applications do you have languages you don't need? Delete them,

If you don't use bb maps, facebook, delete them. The less MMS messages you keep the more device memory you save.

Your ringtones are kept on your media card right?

Go over it again with a fine tooth com and delete anything that you do not absolutely need. The more device memory you can give the device, the smoother and more responsive your BB will be.

Let me know!

New Contributor
smashmup821

Ok, I deleted bb mess, cleared that stuff out of the browser, is it ok to clear the pushed content?  And I deleted some of the ringtones, some of them wont delete, I hit the delete button, hit ok and nothing happens?? I cleared all of the apps that I dont use, like the bb mess and tasks, and a few other things. I dont know if my ringtones are saved to the SD card of not, I know my music is and videos are. I cleared 90% of my MMS saved messages out also.  Neways the status numbers are 16,373,957 free and 54,919,168 total
Guru I
Bifocals

That is much better, I think if you keep and eye on what's running (from home screen hit the menu key and go to switch applications) you can see what's running your will always have home,browser, messages, and call logs.

the memory cleaning app is not on your version of OS, that's okay.

Keep up with your memory and you should run smooth!

Unless you have anymore questions, please resolve the post by putting the resolution check in the post that helped you the most.

Thanks

New Contributor
smashmup821

Well thanks for all the info and working with me, it already seems to be workin much better now Thanks!

Guru I
Bifocals

Re: Need help Newbie 2 the blackberry 8310 having problems

[ Edited ]

Great!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-02-2008 04:42 PM