Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Deadlanguages

Need help setting up new Verizon Curve with Mac G4 iBook...please?

Hi all -

Brand new BB user here; just got a new Curve from Verizon but was completely unaware that there is no support for Mac. I might have gone with the Palm Centro had I known this in advance. I've ben using Palms and Treos for years and had no problem with out-of-box support for Mac.

None of the CDs that came from Verizon with the device are Mac-compatible.

I downloaded the PocketMac software from RIM and discovered upon loading it that it doesn't support the Curve series of BlackBerries.

I am now utterly stumped as to how to sync my Outlook contacts (all 1,234 of them!) onto my device.  

My primary email is through Gmail and I do not use a BlackBerry email. My Mac OS is 10.3.9.

I would also like to be able to load new apps onto my device, and this doesn't seem possible without use the of the desktop software.

Lastly, I need to be able to set up my IM accounts (AIM, Google Talk, etc) but can't find a way to actually do this in the options. I know it's possible as several of my friends already have this installed. They are all PC users, however.

Is there anyway to make this device actually work with my Mac? Otherwise I'm going to need to return it and get a Palm.

Can someone please help me? I'd really appreciate it.

Best,

Colleen Lindsay 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jayanson

Re: Need help setting up new Verizon Curve with Mac G4 iBook...please?

Colleen, I was in the same boat as you. I have the Curve 8330 from Verizon as well, it was such a pain to get this to sync with my Mac (Powerbook G4, running OS 10.4.11). It feels like working on a PC, but  there is a solution. Check this thread:http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=1317&query.id=8985#M1317

It might clear up a a few things. Now I can sync using Pocketmac. Good luck.

J.

Chicago 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Deadlanguages

Thanks but I've already scoured that thread and nothing seems to work. The patches for PocketMac require that you have Mac OS 10.4 or higher. I have 10.3.9 and I'm not spending the extra cash to buy a new OS just to get the BB to sync.

I'm really annoyed that there is no mention on the RIM or verizon website that these devices are not Mac compatible. I really should have gotten a Centro. At least I know that Palm stuff always works right out of the box.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Zamboni

Verizon has a 30 day return policy, return the device and get one that more suits your needs.
Please use plain text.