Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
neil74
My Device: Not Specified

New Blackberry 8310 - Viigo, opera, facebook app, google maps all do not work

Hello

I have just got an 8310 (puchased unlocked from CPW) and it is my first blackberry coming for windows mobile.

I am having some connection issues at least I think I am, email works fine and I can browse the web using browser, however all of the following programs will not work:

Viigo

google maps

Opera

facebook app - (will not install with a java based error)  I have switched on java in the prefernces same result. 

Carphone warehouse navigator

Is there a connectiomn setting somewere that I need to change? or a setting I need to input?

Also as a sim free handset is there an update from 4.2.2 that I can install and if so how?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Neil 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
d_fisher
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: New Blackberry 8310 - Viigo, opera, facebook app, google maps all do not work

Do you have a BlackBerry data plan? BlackBerry devices require a different data plan than other smartphones.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
neil74
My Device: Not Specified

Re: New Blackberry 8310 - Viigo, opera, facebook app, google maps all do not work

I rang orange when I got the handset and added their BB bundle, the email works fine so I assume it has been added ok?  My concern is that they seemed unsure as to what to do and that I am getting charged for a different type of data, I had them put a note on my file covering me on this just in case.

I am guessing that the problem I am having is because I bought the handset sim free from carphone warehouse.  Out of the box the apn setting (options/advanced/TCP) was set as blackberry and under this setting email worked fine and I could access the web via the browser, however viigo and google maps etc did not work and neither did the download link for the facebook app (following error : 

NoteMicrosoft® Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) users: if you encounter an error, look at the top of this page for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: 'AxLoader.cab' from 'Research In Motion'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.   and the next and retry buttons do not work. )

Yesterday after some googling I entered a new APN orangewap and immediately viigo,google maps etc started to work ok but the browser stopped working at all (facebook app still would not download)

This morning I changed orangewap to orangeinternet and now everything except facebook app works.  I am confused though as the lists of apn settings on orange seemed to imply that separate ones are required for web/email, mms etc yet on a BB handset as far as I can see you can only enter one lot of APN info.  Are the APN settings I have entered correct for blackberry services on orange or should I be entering something else?  Does anybody have a orange branded BB handset as I am assuming I just need to replicate those?

Thanks
Please use plain text.