Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300

No GPS navigation on Blackberry Curve 9300

Hi,

I recently purchased a curve 9300. One of the main reasons i bought it was for the GPS navigation capabilities. It has maps, can show routes but has not active GPS navigation contrary to the adversiting. Please advice me on how to proceed. The following are some of the specs from the phones options menu.

Blackberry 9300

Smartphone 93G, Wi-fi

6.0 Bundle, 1879 (v6.0.0.448 platform 6.6.0.124)

3G bands 1,4,8

Cryptographic kernall v3.8.6.5

Branding version 1.0.173.648z.

Re: No GPS navigation on Blackberry Curve 9300

Experienced the very same problem with my Curve 9300 on Orange UK. Many operators block the device GPS in order to force users to subscribe to/buy their own map services, even though Google Maps and obviously Blackberry Maps are both fully compatible with the internal GPS.

To work around this limitation, download GPS Tool by Tworoads Software. The application is available free of charge on Blackberry App World and is an easy way to force activate the internal GPS. After pressing "Start GPS" you can go ahead and use both Google Maps or BB Maps (or any other GPS software for that matter).

Hope this helps!

Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G

ok make sure u have BIS...

try to go to OPTIONS >> DEVICE >> LOCATION SETTINGS

on GPS Data Source -- put Device GPS

and onLocation Services - put Lcation On

hope it helps!

New Contributor

This does not help. i am on MTN south africa.

I have a friend using the same exact phone (9300) and he has GPS navigation with is maps. He is not using any other apps for that only blackberry maps. So i know my phone should have it

Did you download and install GPS Tool, and try activating the internal GPS through that route?

New Contributor

No I did not, I just went to maps and tried to use the GPS, how do I download the GPS tool?

New Contributor

It's possible i was not clear in my querry. What I want is turn-by-turn directions. My friend has them on his 9300 and its with blackberry maps.

Hi, Thanks a lot zeta1. I had the same issue and itried your method and it worked. my BB GPS functon is active now. I was about to buy an external GPS device if I didn't see your response...
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 9300

Hi,

I also have the same phone, the internal gps is able to track your location and guide you to a destination, but doe not have voice turn by turn navigation navigation. If you aren't interested in the voice navigation, you can plot a route to where you need to go by selecting the "get directions" option. Once you have the directions, select view map, and go to options and select "my location and the gps will follow you until you start panning on the screen.

Otherwise if you are interested in the voice navigation, there is a free and very effective voice navigation app available in SA that you can download, this is known as telmap navigator and can be downloaded from bb app world.

Hope this helps,

Peter

My Device: BB Curve 3G 9300.

Pla help me guys:

I am nt abl 2 use gps tool app on my bb phn..aftr installing d app named as GPS tool, a picture lyk ds is displayed:

Avg signal:

Mode:

Method:

Last fix

Time to fix:

Latitude:

Longitude:

Altitude:

Heading:

Speed:

what to do aftr dt..m perplexed and very curious to use d app..Revert asap.