Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

Re: OS 7.1 update for 9360

I appologize for the delay in responding to your query.

You are correct, nothing needs or needed to be removed from the device although performing the tasks you provided for buying a used phone were useful. I discovered that the issue is that I have not yet activated by BBM service with my provider.

It would appear OS upgrades are only provided to users with active BBM services, something I did not know. I am still using my Android phone and have therefore not done so. The only reason I was interested in upgrading the OS was that I thought that it was a possible reason why I could not sync my Outlook contacts but I will never know (the phone came with a 7.0 OS). I solved the problem by obtaining an older version of the Desktop Software (610_b034_multilanguage) which DID sync with no issues.

Once I activate my BBM service I will again attempt to update the OS and will subsequently try to sync my contacts from the latest Desktop application.

Thanks for your help.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

chet_nalewajek wrote:

You are correct, nothing needs or needed to be removed from the device although performing the tasks you provided for buying a used phone were useful. I discovered that the issue is that I have not yet activated by BBM service with my provider.

Yup...as I suspected.

chet_nalewajek wrote:

It would appear OS upgrades are only provided to users with active BBM services, something I did not know.

Not quite accurate. The automatic OS updates are, in many cases, restricted to those users who are subscribed to an adequate data plan from their service provider ("adequate" may or may not include BBM...the carrier decides what is "adequate"). But, there are tricks to use those restricted OS levels on devices that are not subscribed to an adequate data plan.

Nevertheless, the path you are on may well be appropriate to your needs. If you wish to know about the trick, just let us know.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

I find that tricks of the trade are always useful, if not for myself then maybe someone I know .. So yes I would like to know the trick(s) to access restricted OS levels.

Please note that I always was an avid BBY fan and I am considering switching back, especially after my exposure to the ALL of the other markets (Google Android, Windows phone, or even worse, the iPhone!). That said, I chose to rediscover this market by reacquiring a 9360 Curve via eBay. So far so good. Any complications I have encountered have been due to the fact that it is an older phone but have been quickly resolved with your help and my own resources. I found that your quick replies and follow-up to be of a very high standard and of someone who cares, and an attention to detail I have not found with the 'others'.

I do have one other question. Is it true that these older phones can not be upgraded any further than 7.1?

I await your reply.

Hall of Famer II

chet_nalewajek wrote:

I find that tricks of the trade are always useful, if not for myself then maybe someone I know .. So yes I would like to know the trick(s) to access restricted OS levels.

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6) Disconnect your PC from the Internet (this is the "trick" step...all others are normal "manual" OS reload steps -- where you control exactly what will be installed to your device rather than allowing the "automatic" process to choose for you)

7a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

7b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 7a or 7b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

chet_nalewajek wrote:
I found that your quick replies and follow-up to be of a very high standard and of someone who cares, and an attention to detail I have not found with the 'others'.

Now I feel very happy! Thank you! Such is what I strive for here.

chet_nalewajek wrote:

I do have one other question. Is it true that these older phones can not be upgraded any further than 7.1?

It is variable...and I have not found (anymore, since our good friend Xandrex could not keep up with it) a good resource to say which devices can handle the later OS levels. Suffice to say that as devices reach EOL, development of the OS for that device stops...you cannot install anything more than OS5 on a Storm model, for example. As the OS has evolved, the limitations of older hardware simply becomes incapable of handling it. Further, as new devices are added, it becomes impractical to continue to develop the OS for all older devices. All businesses must make these choices...when to EOL things and devote their always-too-few resources to newer things.

Further, at present, OS7.1 is the highest level of OS for legacy...legacy devices are totally incapable of handling the magic that exists on BB10. BB10 is a radical change from the past, indeed developed from the ground up for both hardware and OS. Hence, the legacy devices are completely incapable of handling BB10. But, as to if legacy will continue development beyond OS7.1, I personally think that will continue...but for how long (never infinite) and at what pace is something left only to formal announcements from BB (always rare, especially such forward-looking things) and speculation (best left to sites other than this one).

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Black Berry Curve9360
My Carrier: STC

Hello, i was trying update my curve 9360, but i can see only wireless music sync in application loader wizard.

Please hellp me to get its done.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II

Manojjesus wrote:

Hello, i was trying update my curve 9360, but i can see only wireless music sync in application loader wizard.

Please hellp me to get its done.

Hello,

Please follow the 7 steps documented in post 24 above.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates