Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Trusted Contributor
Daimart
My Device: Blackberry Q10 - 10.2.0.424
My Carrier: Cyta-Vodafone (Cyprus)

OS Upgrade 4.6 to OS 5

Happy New Year to every one,

I have a small question, I have bought my Daughter a 8520 for Xmas and she has no Data Plan. It is Running on OS 4.6. I would like to put OS 5 on it for her, can I use my Sim Card in it and upgrade that way as if I was changing my Device to Upgrade?

Also will she be able to use her Wifi facility without a Data Plan?

Thank you all in advance,

David

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Can you please click on the KUDOS star if this was helpful and click on Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,840
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS Upgrade 4.6 to OS 5

Yes, she can use the WiFi for some data, like the internet HotSpot browser (Options > Advanced > Browser = HotSpot, and save). No push email, Facebook app, Maps, etc.). Some third party apps like Pandora radio will work without the required BlackBerry Data Plan.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JSanders

With no data plan on her 8520, use the following instructions to upgrade:

See the link below for the download, and follow these simple installation instructions.

First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

2. Now, disable or disconnect ALL internet access to this PC... no WiFi, no DSL cable, unplug the any ethernet, or connections.

3. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
4. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Once you complete the prompts, you'll be upgrading.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Daimart

Hi J Sanders,

thank you for your reply,

I have tried several times using your method this afternoon and have failed to complete the upgrade.

After hitting the Loader exe file to install which actually does not say exe but it is the application file I get a dialogue box come up which says Device Application Selection.

Then there is some Ghosted Text which says,

The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device software for that Device you have connected to the Computer.

Contact your Service Provider.

There is an ADD Button I can press but not to sure about?

Any Ideas?

Regards,

David

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Can you please click on the KUDOS star if this was helpful and click on Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

You must click on the loader.EXE file. And if you get the message "
The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device software for that Device you have connected to the Computer," then you have not installed the OS file to the PC.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
craigashy
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Orange/EE. UK

it shouldn't matter who's sim is in the phone, she should be able to upgrade it, I

Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
If this post helps you please click the LIKE below the post(s)
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Daimart

Hi J Sanders,

Thanks again for your help, After several more attempts I decided to put my Sim Card in which has a Data Plan.

I then Changed Devices, Upgraded the OS and then Changed my Device back to my 9900 and my Daughters phone is now on OS 5.

Not sure why it would not work with your suggestion but anyway it is now OK.

Regards,

David

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
hApS143
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: MTN

Hello,

At times the registration for one sim need to be refreshed by making a Power Restart of your phone, so may be this could be one of the probable reasons.

And regarding upgrading anything on your phone is very much available by connecting USB cable to your blackberry and your laptop/desktop and open BlackBerry Destop Manager Software, which can be installed through the CD provided to you in your BlackBerry Box.

With this you can upgrade anytime your phone OS having interenet on your Desktop.

And also you can download all apps, without even having any Data plan on your phone, but via desktop through the following link:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/

You just need to plug in your internet enabled desktop with your Blackberry through USB.

Hope this could be informative to you!

Please use plain text.