Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
dpg70
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: sprint

Odd 8530i SMS issue

I'll start by stating that I'm an Exchange admin and BB/BES noob...

I have a user with the 8530i through Nextel with a really strange text issue.  When the device does not have our IT policy applied, it sends and receives text messages without issue.  Once we apply our IT policy it stops receiving text messages, but can still send.  The firewall option is greyed out, but our policy does not enforce or configure anything in regards to the firewall. 

I've been over every detail of our policy and nowhere does it restrict or configure SMS/MMS messages.  In fact, we have multiple 8530i's on our BES that operate without issue.  This issue is specific to one device.  I've searched quite extensively and have found numerous SMS/MMS issues tied to this particular device, but none of the resolutions have corrected the issue.  Most appear to be workarounds anyway (resending service books, pull the battery, etc).

According to the user, they've been in contact with the provider and they of course state it's our IT policy, but I cannot find anything that points me in that direction. 

The device is running 4.6.313.  The user states that they had this same issue on their previous 8530i, and had it replaced with the current device.  This makes me think something is not correctly provisioned with their account, but the IT policy "issue", for lack of a better term, is puzzling.

Has anyone seen similar behavior or have any thoughts on what to check here?  I've referenced KB12741 for this issue and ruled out a misconfigured policy.  The SIM card piece seems a better fit to me.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RUFFSTUFF
My Device: CURVE 8530
My Carrier: SPRINT

Re: Odd 8530i SMS issue

You must mean 8350i, there is no 8530i.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dpg70
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: sprint