Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: T Mobile

Password not recognized (Urgent)

I removed my battery and sim card and when I replaced them the phone asked me to enter blackberry to continue then it asked me for a password but when I entered the four digit number that I have been using for months to lock it, the phone doesn't recognize it and I am now on my last attempt. Is the password that it wants one that I will have given it when I originally got the phone? Or is it a standard one? How can I get around it?

Solutions: 6,122
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Password not recognized (Urgent)

Often users who have multiple numerals in their password will only press the ALT key for the first numeral and not those following, so for instance, if your password were "1234", you might have been pressing "Alt 1234" on the device, which makes the actual password to be "1ers".

Does that make sense? Does it sound familar to your usage?

So check the way you enter your password on the device... do you think you are entering multiple numbers but actually are not?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: T Mobile

Thanks for your quick response, but unfortunately it is not the answer. I pressed Alt number Alt number Alt number Alt number and the actual numbers themselves showed in the box - which is not what happened when I put them in prior to taking the sim out then it would just show ****, which is what is making me think that it is not my 4 number password that it is looking for.

Solutions: 6,122
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

No, the **** or lack of is not the problem. The BlackBerry device is actually now revealing the actual password you type in, because you have had a specified number of incorrect attempts, usually after five.

So, IN THE PAST, have you ALWAYS entered your password as "alt number alt number alt number alt number"?

Or was it like "alt number number number number" which then would make your password something like "1abc"

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Yoigo 360

hey!!

i just saw this message from yours and its happening the same to me... could you help me?

what did you do to fix this? im in my 8th attempt... only 3 to go!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

danigutman wrote:

hey!!

i just saw this message from yours and its happening the same to me... could you help me?

what did you do to fix this? im in my 8th attempt... only 3 to go!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Passwords on a BB can be tricky. For example, if you've got a mixture of different characters in your device password, then perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

If your BB is not responding properly to your password as you expect it to, then perhaps you should try a battery-pull reboot and see if you can return the keyboard to a "default" state and allow you to successfully enter the password. Likewise, if you have ever before connected your BB to your PC and have successfully entered the password via the PC keyboard, then do that now as that will reset the password lock counter back to it's maximum.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates