Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
lizzy1972
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
Accepted Solution

Password required to unlock Blackberry Curve 9300

Hello,

One word: HELP!! So this is the deal..a friend gave me a Blackberry Curve 9300 to use(cause she doesn't use it anymore) cause my old phone went kaput. Anyways,I turned it on and I see a screen written KOODOO mobile(a phone company in Canada) and then immediately a screen saying 'DEVICE is locked'. When I choose unlock there's written 'Enter Password' and I can't get passed that screen to do anything else.My friend does not remember the password. There was her FIDO sim card inserted so I figure that the phone is unlocked ..I too have a FIDO sim card. Can anyone help me figure this out?? Do I have to go to the KOODOO store and have them unlock it or to anybody who does the unlocking of the phones?? Or can anybody here help me?? Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Password required to unlock Blackberry Curve 9300

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

BBs are very secure -- only the user created password can unlock the BB. There is no "master" or "override" password to do so...only the user created password can do so.

But, you may be in luck anyway...refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Failing the password the maximum times will initiate an on-device WIPE, which is included in those important instructions. But, the other steps within those instructions are likewise important to conduct...by both the seller and the buyer. Not properly completing ALL of the instructions risks rendering the BB not fully usable by the buyer (you).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
lizzy1972

Thank you so much for your help...will try doing what you said. I began reading what to do..I'm not really  a technology whiz but will follow the steps and keep my fingers crossed!! Thanks againa and I'll keep you posteed!! Have a good weekend :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
lizzy1972

This is HELP PART 2!! Well I followed the advice given and I can now enter the phone and as I was browsing around, I saw that the mobile network provider is TELUS. I however have a FIDO SIM card and when I insert it, and after I enter the password, it gives me the choice to 'unlock' the phone. When I choose this option another msg pops up on the screen and it says, 'Your current SIM card requires an unlock code.Would you like to unlock it?' When I choose the option 'YES' another msg appears saying 'Enter Service Provider MEP code(0 left)'. I'm assuming I have 0 tries left to unlock the SIM card but I don't know what service Provider MEP code is!!! Can anybody help me get through this problem?? Thank you!!!!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello again,

Actually, your issue is more serious. From what you describe, it's not your SIM that is locked, but rather your BB. When a BB is manufactured, it is locked to some carrier in the world, and can only be used on that one carrier. By obtaining an unlock code, you can unlock it from that carrier and use it any carrier that uses compatible radio signals for the specific device model. But, there are only 10 attempts available to succeed.

Please see this helpful thread to start:

If all of the chances to enter the correct unlock code have been exhausted, there is nothing further you can do. Even if you happen to have now the correct code, it is useless. Only the factory can now (legally) unlock your BB. Typically, I've heard that the cost of having BlackBerry do this for you will be greater than the cost of just buying a new one. But, you are able to ask them...see here:

Note, however, that this process will start with a fee...

If you obtained your unlock code from somewhere but it was incorrect, your recourse could be with them -- however, they may well question why you exhausted all 10 attempts before contacting them.

If your BB was already MEP locked and you obtained it from a source that represented it as being able to be unlocked, then your recourse would be with the seller you obtained it from.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
lizzy1972

Thanks for your help...yes I see that Balckberries can be complicated!!! UGH...:Eek: Anyways I started following the instructions on the link you provided to see if the Blackberry is 'unlocked' or not and this is what shows up:

At the VERY top it says:

SIM card: No valid SIM Card (but my FIDO card is inserted)

Identity and Associations

Personalization:

SIM Disabled

Network Disabled

Network Subset Disabled

Service Provider Active

Corporate Disabled

Phone number:

Unknown number

I'm a bit confused because in the instructions it says that if the device is 'unlocked' it will say 'DISABLED' or 'INACTIVE'. If it says ' ACTIVE' then it's still locked to that carrier(which in this case from what I seeis TELUS). From what I see there above there's DISABLED and ACTIVE features.I THINK it is locked to the provider seeing the Service Provider is 'ACTIVE' but from your understanding, according to the above iformation,am I right?Can you tell if the device is locked or not to the provider??I I would try getting the unlocking code from the link you gave me and try if you think my device is locked into the service provider.

Thanks again for your help..I appreciate it.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

lizzy1972 wrote:

Service Provider Active

I THINK it is locked to the provider seeing the Service Provider is 'ACTIVE' but from your understanding, according to the above iformation,am I right?

You are correct...it is locked to a carrier.

lizzy1972 wrote:

I would try getting the unlocking code from the link you gave me and try if you think my device is locked into the service provider.

From what you earlier described "MEP code(0 left)", your challenge is not surmountable. With zero attempts left, only the factory can now unlock it. Even a valid unlock code will not work.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
lizzy1972

Darn it....what a pain. I received it from a friend of mine and the phone belonged to her daughter so don't know if she attempted to unlock the phone from the TELUS provider to FIDO seeing I found her FIDO SIM card in the phone when I got it. I"ll have to go through the factory to unlock it and pay God knows what...I hope that I can find another way!! :smileywink:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Just to be 10000% sure, you should try the unlocking process from this post:

See if you can indeed bring up the "hidden" secondary MEP entry screen...if it indeed indicates (0) attempts are left, then the device is indeed MEP locked. You may need to make this attempt with the SIM removed.

I only caution you with this due to the settings you noted above...they were not quite normal, and hopefully my evaluation of them was correct. Actually, hopefully my evaluation was incorrect!

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
lizzy1972

Thanks...I'm willing to try anything since it doesn't seem that I have much to loose BUT hopefully to gain. I will try what you suggested and will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well!! I wish I knew what I was like you and knew what I was doing!! :Sweatdrop:  Thanks for your help..will keep you posted!!