Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jafcorrea
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Password

I am trying to disable my password

Okay I need to go:

Option,

Security option,

General settings,

Password, now the problem only show ENABLE and a red small lock on the left side, cannot change to DISABLE. 

How to change this.

Thanks for any help

George

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Password

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Typically, that is due to the fact of your device having an IT Policy on it that requires a device password. There are typically two ways to get an IT Policy:

1) Your BB is part of a corporate BES infrastructure, from which they push the policy

2) You obtained your BB 2nd hand from someone who did not remove their IT Policy from it before selling it to you

Can you check your device for an IT Policy as well as both of those causes and let us know? The resolution paths are different...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jafcorrea

Hi, and thanks for the help

Yes my BB is from a corporate, my wife company change her phone for a iphone and  new comp (AT&T), before was tmobile,  anyway, her boss gave me the phone and I unlock is working fine but the only thing is bad is I need to put my password all the time

Thanks again for the replay, any info will be nice

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jafcorrea

I ust check on IT policy name and is DEFAUlt last up date 12/3/2007 any tips on that? Thanks George
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Yup...as I suspected...they did not remove the IT Policy before giving you the BB. Your choices are to ask them to do so or to follow this process of doing it yourself:

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jafcorrea

Sorry about the late replay, weekend is my double shift work day, I did the download and the cleaning to remove the IT, work just fine, thanks a lot for the help

George

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GrammyH
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

I, too, am trying to remove the annoying password entry, but I do not have the steps the first person gave:

Okay I need to go:

Option,

Security option,

General settings is not in my choices on the Security Option screen.

I wasn't going to use a password, but when I was trying to setup my wifi with my home DSL, it said I had to have a password.  I might not use my home DSL if I have to enter that annoying password all the time.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello GrammyH,

It may be that you are on a different OS level where the password option has been moved...try here:

• Homescreen > Options > Password

But, I am a little confused...I've never heard of configuring WiFi on a BB forcing the use of the device lock password on the BB. Is it perhaps prompting you for your WiFi WEP key instead? Or something else in your home WiFi router configuration?

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AnthonyD_ZA
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Vodacom

I have a problem that I accidentally enabled a password on my wife's Blackberry.  While I know what the password is, I cannot disable the password again, as the "Enable" button is locked in the "on" position (there is a little padlock next to it).  Could this be a result of the phone using BES?  Is it safe for me to remove the IT policy, or will that then disconnect the phone from her network? Can her administrator in her office switch it off?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello -- and sorry for the delayed reply,

AnthonyD_ZA wrote:

I have a problem that I accidentally enabled a password on my wife's Blackberry.  While I know what the password is, I cannot disable the password again, as the "Enable" button is locked in the "on" position (there is a little padlock next to it).  Could this be a result of the phone using BES?

Yes, it absolutely could be the case. If the BES admin has forced the existence of the on-device password, then you cannot remove it.

AnthonyD_ZA wrote:

Is it safe for me to remove the IT policy, or will that then disconnect the phone from her network?

The process to remove the IT Policy will not only disengage the BB from her network but it will also completely wipe the BB clean of EVERYTHING. Further, if the BB remains configured into the BES server, then it eventually will "reach out" and re-activate the BB, and put the IT Policy back on when it does so. To be on BES means having an IT Policy, and living under whatever restrictions the BES admin has enforced.

AnthonyD_ZA wrote:

Can her administrator in her office switch it off?

Yes...the BES admin can release the requirement for the device lock password.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.