Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: Rogers

Phone Goes Silent

I have a Curve 8300 series. When I go to bed at night, I plug in my phone, set my alarm for the morning and go to sleep.

Quite often lately, I have been waking up late because my phone is going silent. It is not switching to silent mode or anything, just losing all sound altogether. Even the noise it makes when you use the track ball is gone. I have been late for work  a few times now because of it.

For a while it was just happening periodically, now it has happened the past three days. If I turn it off and back on it has sound again.

New Contributor

Re: Phone Goes Silent

80 views and zero input for me? Come on, someone must have had or heard of this issue. Please help.

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

It's happening to my phone, too, though I don't know why.  If I remove/replace the battery that restores sound until the next time it happens & I have to remove/replace again. 

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650

Yes I have heard of this. A friend of mine is on her 5th (?) BlackBerry because of it & I am on my 2nd BlackBerry for the same reason. (A little background on me: I do not drop my cell phones & have NEVER had one submerged in any kind of liquid or sustain any kind of damage as a result of those things. I had my BlackBerry almost 6month when it started happening to me).

1st, call your carrier & have your intelligence insulted by their implying that you don't know how to use a phone. Spend a couple more hours with your carriers' IT dept going through all the rigamarole of wiping your phone 3-4x's as part of their "let me see if we can fix it 1st" process. Then AFTER you've found yourself repeatedly admonished with threats of being charged 10x's more than what YOU paid for the phone IF they agree to replace the phone & cannot re-create the problem, you may be granted a new re-furbished phone on which you will still experience the problem although to a lesser degree. The point of playing 'getting to know you' with your carriers' IT dept is to help create a paper trail for you which shows that you have tried to fix the problem & are not merely trying to con them out of a new phone but simply want the one you already own to work!

Good Luck. I hope this helps you (at least know what you may be in for).

Highlighted
New Contributor

FYI  shortcut I've found to the constant battery pulling just to restore the **bleep** sound is pressing the ALT + (right) SHIFT + DEL keys together to restart.

New Contributor

Thanks for the input guys. I'm guessing I will just never get the thing fixed. Guess I will just have to get the new iPhone. Good bye RIM.

My Device: 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I have had this same issue for about 6 months now.  I've taken my phone back to AT&T numerous times and they say they can't find anything wrong with it, but it goes silent.. it doesn't even ring when a call comes in.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have *cross fingers* cell phone insurance, try calling your carrier back (unless you like visiting the actual store), tell them again about the problem, how you've unsuccessfully tried to have it fixed & request a new phone.

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: at&t

Having the same problem.  I've had the curve for about two months, never dropped the phone, never got it wet.  When I do as suggested here, it restores the sound for maybe a half hour.  Didn't purchase insurance, but it sounds like a flaw in the software or something.  Gonna try to get some help from RIM. 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

Hiya!

I was able to find This on the topic. But it may not be a whole lot of help unless the VAD fix works.

It seems to only affect certain devices with certain OS version on them. Can you please post which model and OS version you are using?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter