Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Phone Wiped

[ Edited ]

Lyner47 wrote:

Hi,

I think I may have resolved part of my last issue.

The message I was receiving was on my computer as I attempted to access info from Blackberry.

However, I subsequently noticed that when I was asked to key in my password on my device the same

requirement was there.

On inserting my password to my devise the message (4/10 attempts) reverted to 0 on my computer!!

So that maybe one issue resolved for now.

However, I am having difficulty linking my devise to my computer.

I will revert when I can identify this  issue for you.

Thank you.

Hello -- to add...

The password prompted for by the Desktop Software and the password you assigned to lock your BB are indeed the same password. But, what I suspect is that you've got a mixture of different characters in your device password, and perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

On your BB, when you type your password, you should get just a moment where each character is shown in the clear before it changes to an *. Watch closely the next time and you may see a surprising result. It will be those exact characters that you must type on your PC keyboard as that's actually your password.

Further, as you discovered, the counter of unlock attempts is indeed the same, regardless of password entry method (PC keyboard versus BB keyboard). So, if one knows for sure how to enter their password via one method, one can experiment with the other method, resetting the "failure" counter with the method that is certain, and avoiding the disaster of the WIPE upon too many failed attempts.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lyner47
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Vodafone

Many thanks to all who have helped and asisted in my my continuing issues.

However, somes issues remain.

1)  When I connect my device to my computer I receive the following message:-

Device - do you want to turn on mass storage mode............yes...........enter device password.......

Computer - Connect BlackBerry Curve 8520...............now asked for password.

MY PASSWORD IS QUITE SIMPLE AND NUMERIC.

I ger it right every time on my device!

I have tried numerous versions on my computer...."Num Lock on/off........I have attempted up to 5 logon 

without success. On one ocassion I was asked to type the word blackberry, which I did on my device and 

reverted to 0.

2)  I have previously "backed up my device to my computer.

Folder located in the Document Library. - Back Up Folder!!

Files with various dates to signify my backups.

CANNOT open files..........file name BL3E60~1......BLCK~3.BBB etc.

When I attempt to open these files I receice the following message - "either you do not have a programme installed that can open your file, or you are looking for a new software to open this file".

So, apologies to you, but can you help again?

Many thanks.

Lyner47

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Lyner47 wrote:

1)  When I connect my device to my computer I receive the following message:-

Device - do you want to turn on mass storage mode............yes...........enter device password.......

Computer - Connect BlackBerry Curve 8520...............now asked for password.

MY PASSWORD IS QUITE SIMPLE AND NUMERIC.

I ger it right every time on my device!

I have tried numerous versions on my computer...."Num Lock on/off........I have attempted up to 5 logon 

without success. On one ocassion I was asked to type the word blackberry, which I did on my device and 

reverted to 0.

I think we have explained, quite clearly and with examples, what is most likely the challenge. Indeed, we gave you a way to actually see, in the clear (for just a moment, but still see), your actual password characters on your BB, so that you can know them for typing into your PC keyboard. From what you have described, you have not yet done that...rather, you have made many guesses. The method we gave you would avoid all needs to guess.

Lyner47 wrote:

2)  I have previously "backed up my device to my computer.

Folder located in the Document Library. - Back Up Folder!!

Files with various dates to signify my backups.

CANNOT open files..........file name BL3E60~1......BLCK~3.BBB etc.

When I attempt to open these files I receice the following message - "either you do not have a programme installed that can open your file, or you are looking for a new software to open this file".

That is completely normal. The backup files have one purpose only...to be used as the source of restore. Hence, they are in a proprietary format, readable by the Desktop Software for that purpose.

But, the message you quoted is completely clear...you do not have any app on your PC that can parse and present the contents of those files to you (since they are of a proprietary format). Hence, you must obtain something that is intended to do that for you. There are several 3rd party apps out there that will do so...a few seconds on Google, searching for "BBB reader" might reveal some useful things to you. I've heard good things about MagicBerry.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lyner47

Many thanks and apologies for so much confusion.

I had made some changes to my device so it was playing havoc with my mind!!!!!

However, I will consider all that you have advised me on.

Additionally, I have went to the device options and disabled the password.

This resolved my initial problem.

Trust I will have some items for discussion at some stage.

Again, many thanks.

Lyner47

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...that's fine. Just don't discount the level of protection that the device lock password provides. For example, if your BB is lost or stolen and there is no device lock password, then all of the personal information on your BB is exposed. Not only personal information about you, but all personal information you have about others (e.g., Contact List details). Likewise free and clear access to all email accounts you have configured to your BB...whoever has your BB will be able to do whatever they want with those. The device lock password would block anyone else from having any access whatsoever to the data on your BB...and, IMHO, it is the data on the BB that is priceless...the BB itself is a mere commodity.

The Device Lock Password is a key component of what makes BBs the most secure mobile devices available. Defeating components of that security reduce the level of security that you can take advantage of.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lyner47

Yes, I fully agree.

I took the lock off to access my computer as that was where I was experiencing my problems.

I have now reactivated the password.

Thanks for your advice on this.

Best regards.

Lyner47

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.