Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
nathantkd
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Phone won't call or text. - but internet works and sim works on other phone

Hello, I bought a Blackberry Curve 9300 from a phone shop, it was working perfectly for about 3 months, I decided I was unhappy with my network provider and went to get the phone unlocked, the first guy used all 10 attempts and said he couldn't fix it, I then took it to a second shop run by Nokia and they ordered a new chip and MEP code and still it said the same thing, so I just got my phone back. When I done this, the guy in the shop told me that my phone would work on the previous Network Provider I used before (Tesco Mobile). I then got a new sim from the contract I currently had and decided to stay with them.

I put the Sim in my phone and it shows full network bars. However when I try to phone or text it says "Network Unavailable", I went into the service status and it reads:
Phone number: Unknown Number
Connection: Not Connected

The internet works and I'm not connected to wifi which means I know it isn't the sim, the phone should be fine and not blocked as I previously used it before with the same network provider, dose anyone know how to fix this ?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Phone won't call or text. - but internet works and sim works on other phone

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Your BB indeed now is permanently locked to the carrier for which it was originally manufactured. Contrary to what the second shop may have tried, that cannot be (legally) undone except at the BB factory. But, what they've all told you indeed should be true that it should remain usable on your original carrier. Why it's not working is strange indeed.

I recommend you do a complete device WIPE:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

Make sure to select everything it offers. If you need to backup first, you can find full instructions via the link in my auto-sig on this post.

You must first get things working for voice-level services -- phone calls, voice mail, SMS, etc. Only after that will data be of any value to attempt to get working. If Tesco has a shop with qualified BB technicians, you may want to seek out their in-person help.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.