Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
sarahhelen
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Phone won't turn on. Battery sign with a red cross through.

I can't turn my phone on.

For the last week, every time I plugged the charger in, the screen would go white, and then a battery with a red cross through would show up.

If I removed and replaced the battery several times then eventually it would reboot, I took to a phone shop yesterday and they unscrewed the phone and re-screwed it together again, and the battery sign didn't appear again and appeared to be working fine again.

However, last night I attempted to charge the phone again, and the battery sign appeared again and now will not go off. The phone is completely useless. I've tried a new battery, with no luck. What should I do?

I've rung Vodafone, and they were completely uninterested.

Its a Blackberry 8520 (I think) Approx 9 months old.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Phone won't turn on. Battery sign with a red cross through.

If the device is less than a year old then it would be under warranty. However, since you took it to a phone shop where they unscrewed it your warranty may now be void. I'm not sure why you said they are "uninterested." Vodafone will replace the device if it's under warranty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ash95
My Device: BlackBerry 8529
My Carrier: Sprint

try a new charger, there may be a few loose wires or order a new battery. usually the red line thing means that the battery isn't being read so maybe try to clean the metal plates(?) where the battery connects to the phone with some rubbing alcohol

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sarahhelen
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,

Vodafone didn't tell me they would replace the phone though. They provided the worst customer service on that call that I've had in the 9 months I've been with them, and it has never been very good at any point in that time. 

The lady sighed repeatedly on the phone, told me that I didn't have insurance because the phone is on a pay-as-you-go, that I couldn't prove the phone was bought from a Vodafone shop (it was a gift at Christmas), and told me there was nothing more Vodafone would do for me. Very unhelpful.

After my fourth call, I've now spoken to someone who has confirmed my phone was first registered last Christmas, and has agreed that the phone remains under warranty. They are sending it away to hopefully repair or replace it.

Fingers crossed :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.