Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Question about upgrade Rogers 8310 to OS 4.5

Hello, I have used my blackberry 8310 curve two weeks so far and I love it very much! Since I got this phone, I spend more time with my family without missing an important email! I also like its automatic lock when insert it into protection case. I love this phone!

I just heard that I can upgrade its system to be OS 4.5, and yes I checked here blackberry software page and OS 4.5 is available for Rogers 8310. But I want to clarify an important question before upgrade. 

My phone came with an OS 4.2, it was a multilanguage version but it did not have Chinese language support. I need to read emails in Chinses all the time. Fortunately I found an OS 4.2 Chinese version for Rogers 8310 on blackberry software download page, and I installed it on my phone. It works perfect.

But for OS 4.5, there is only one multilanguage version available for rogers 8310 on the blackberry web. I called Rogers tech support, they told me that this OS 4.5 did not have Chinese language. 

However, on the blackberry software download page, there is a OS 4.5 Chinese language version available but for Hong Kong CSL company. My question is, if I install this Chinese version for Hong Kong CSL, after installation, will my phone still work (phone call, emails....) with Rogers services?

Thank you very much! 

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Question about upgrade Rogers 8310 to OS 4.5

Hi and welcome to the forums!

You can use another vendor's software. As long as it is device specific.

Once you have downloaded and installed the device OS on your PC,

delete the vendor.xml file. The file is installed in the following directory.

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\

Let us know how it  goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

OK here is what I have done.

Because one of my friends told me that if I install other version than my own carrier, then my phone lose warranty. So I thought that better to install Rogers even without Asian language support.

But I also did my home work: I found Chinese font and input app online, in that way after I installed Rogers OS 4.5, I loaded these font and input app so finally I am using the Rogers OS with Chinese language support.

One thing happened during my upgrade: the desktop manager stopped working during the phone "intilizaling", the bar just stopped there, the phone was in black. I remember that someone said that it might cost 45 minutes, but I waited and waited, after 2 hours it just did not go any further. I felt so bad and unplug my phone and thought the phone was dead. I clicked the ball and foun actually the phone was on, and everything is OK. I had to force the destop manager to close because it was not running and had no response.

By the way, talk about OS 4.5, I found it really get better. It has more software such as Documents to go, and video camera as many people talked about. The Mp3 player also got better, it has next and previous icon. Also the entire look got better too.

Thank you for reading!

Guru I

Cool!
I'm glad you have it fixed.
As far as the desktop manager episode, I really don't know, there could be so many variables.

I guess I would treat it like test pilots treat crashes....any time you can walk away from one was a good landing Smiley Wink

If desktop manager hangs up again or you have problems, just open a new thread.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Rickymaxx wrote:

OK here is what I have done.

Because one of my friends told me that if I install other version than my own carrier, then my phone lose warranty. So I thought that better to install Rogers even without Asian language support.

Just FYI. Blackberry creates the device OS then gives it to the vendor, who puts the vendor.xml into the load.

Device OS 4.5.xx from Rogers, Verizon, AT&T is the very same software.

The only time you would worry about the warranty is loading a software version

that is not supported by your carrier.

I agree, 4.5 for me was a lot quicker and had more functions!

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 04-26-2009 10:35 PM