Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Curve 8900

REM jpg files on PC, cannot open

I know there are numerous posts on this subject, however none of them seem to help me, so I hope someone can.....

I have a BB Curve 8900 and I cut (yes, cut not copy) numerous pictures from my BB and pasted them to my laptop, then deleted them from my BB.

When I have come to view them on my laptop I have now realised that they are encrypted!! I really don't want to loose these pictures, is anyone able to offer a solution please?

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: REM jpg files on PC, cannot open

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Only the original device than encrypted them can decrypt them...there is nothing for decryption on the PC itself. You must put them back onto your BB and decrypt them there. See these for reference:

• KB22577Encrypted files on a media card are able to be copied off of the media card in a decrypted state and can be viewed
  • KB11454Encrypted files stored on the microSD media card appear as .rem files
  • KB12999How to encrypt files on an installed media card in the BlackBerry smartphone

Hopefully you will be lucky...but it is completely possible that they cannot be decrypted at all...ever.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: TelCel

Were you ever able to get those files back or decrypt them? I have the same issue.

My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: verizon

i have the same problem too. i dont want to lose 3months of my baby's pictures growing up. im starting to hate blackberry now. i made this phone popular in my college back in the Philippines and now i hate it.