Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
trek102
My Device: Not Specified

Random data loss on 8310

This has now happened several times to me in the past weeks. For no reason, most of my text messages and sometimes my emails are completely erased from the device. I have installed quite a few applications which all seem to work fine but the random deletion of data is a concern to me.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lex_Tek
My Device: Curve 8320

Re: Random data loss on 8310

[ Edited ]
Go to Menu>Options>Status and look at your File Free. If FF is at or close to zero, that would be the cause of your problem. Themes, programs, dowloaded ringtones and yes, even text messages will use up your phones onboard memory. Try saving all multimedia files to your media card and use your desktop manager to remove any unused programs, themes, etc. Also, everytime you use your web browser and BB maps, temporary files are stored in the phones cache. If you don't mind waiting a few seconds longer for a page to load, I would suggest that you delete the files regularly.
Message Edited by Lex_Tek on 10-11-2008 07:31 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
trek102

I checked. The status says 6677640 Bytes file free. So there cant be shortage of memory. Also, I have no multiledia files on the device. So there is no real lack of memory.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lex_Tek

[ Edited ]
There are a few more things that you can try. Go to Menu>Options>Security Options>Memory Cleaning and make sure that it is disabled. You can also try rebooting by removing the battery while the device is still switched on. If all else fails, try reinstalling your OS.
Message Edited by Lex_Tek on 10-11-2008 07:55 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jw3402

[ Edited ]

I have been having the same issues, however I have the Blackberry 8320. Just my SMS messages and even Call Logs are getting deleted (not my e-mails). I checked my File Free and it was down to 0bytes, but I don't have that much installed on my device. I have about 8 ringtones I downloaded, 8 of my own pictures, a few other programs I downloaded (like Opera Mini and Google Maps), 6 games, no videos, so I don't get how I'm already at 0 bytes? I thought Blackberry's were suppose to hold a lot of information?

Should I just start deleting the default ringtones and the default pictures or something? I hate to start deleting stuff, but I can't believe that my BlackBerry can't hold that much. A friend of mine has the BlackBerry 8800 series and he has tons of e-mails and sms messages, tons of videos and pictures, etc.

What are my options?

Message Edited by jw3402 on 10-11-2008 10:10 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
trek102

I did a little research on the internet and it seems that this problem is a common issue with the 8300 series. Aparently there is a bug that makes the BB OS believe that al memory is used and consequently triggers an automatic routine that cleans up the occupied memory to keep the device functioning. This routine then deletes SMS messages and call logs (without warning!) to gain back some memory. The problem is that the routine kicks in when in fact there is no real memory issue at all.

Can someone from BB here comment on this? Is there a bug-fix?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
trek102

Where is this option you mentioned? If I go into Options-Secutity, there is no Memory Clenaing option.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lex_Tek

It should be found at options>security options>memory cleaning. I should advise you that I have an 8320 and recently upgraded to OS v4.5, maybe memory cleaning is a feature on this OS. I have a friend with an 8310 running the original OS, I'll have to get back to you to see if there is a difference.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jw3402

Yea, I just deleted BlackBerry maps and so it cleared up some space, but I'm still shocked that my BlackBerry can't hold so much. I don't want to start deleting a bunch of stuff that I might use later. If no one from BlackBerry responds on this thread, I will give them a call on Monday and ask. Then I'll let you guys know what they said. Thanks for the help so far!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

having less than 10 000 000 bytes free on a Blackberry is considered few memory.
You can't access the "free memory" action if you don't have a recent OS (4.3 or higher). But you can do a soft or hard reboot from time to time.
Don't worry, you can't lose data with these two reboots.

Soft reboot :
1) Hit the three following keys at the same time :
- Alt
- Left Shift
- Delete
2) wait 2 minutes for the Blackberry to wake up.

Hard reboot :
1) your Blackberrry device is on
2) remove the battery and wait for a minute
3) Put the battery back
4) wait 5 minutes for the device to wake up.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.