Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
ijoseph
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: LIME

Red X Shown On Battery

I have a curve 8900 that shows a red x on the battery icon when loading the battery does not charge and the phone does not come on even after changing that battery, cleaning out the ports. i just won't turn on. has anyone encounterd that problem before?

what was your solution.

i also have an 8520 that recently started doing the same thing too.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Red X Shown On Battery

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage). If it doesn't reboot on the first attempt, leave it several more hours. I've had one charge for two days before it came back to life after an extreme battery depletion. Every 3-4 hours, with the device still connected to the charger, you can remove and replace the battery to see if it reboots.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ijoseph

The device has been connected to the charger for roughly fours hour and no change. the battery does not charge in the device. niether does changing the battery get rid of the red X on the battery symbol.

the phone does not boot even with a fully charged battery it will load half way and then stop. the red X shows up.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Where is this red X shown?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ijoseph

the red x is shown on the screen. i'l try to upload a screen shot of the x so that you can all better understand my dilemna. its the onli thing that is displayed on the screen. the is over the icon of the battery

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ijoseph

this is a shot of the camera with the red X shown on the screen.... please help with any information that you can. this will help me get a better understanding as to what is wrong with the phone

2011-01-21 19-02-26.262.jpg

amy help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
coachdonnie
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: ATT

Did you find a solution?  I have been charging mine for WEEKS now, and I know for a fact the batteries are full as other friends have inserted them into their phones successfully.  I know that the phone realizes when a batter is in the phone as it attempts, unsuccessfully to reboot once removed and reinserted. 

If you found any help, please advise.   Thanks and good luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jhnash01
My Device: Curve 8530

Re: Red X Shown On Battery--DOWNLOADING corruption is the Problem

I have had the same problem.  I was able to fix it the first time by removing a supplemental 4G memory card I had added a month or so earlier to the phone.  The first time it happened to me, I was downloading some simple thing from the BB Apps World site, and then this big red "X" came up on the screen over a battery symbol and nothing I did could make it go away until finally, by accident, really, the supplemental memory card was removed.  Then the unit came up just fine and worked great for several more weeks.

Then, stupidly, I downloaded an updated version of Pandora today, and when it was done and went to reboot all I saw AGAIN was the big red X over the battery symbol!!!!   SCREAM!!!!

I can't turn the BB unit off as I would normally, and an hours-long hard-wire battery charge does nothing, and neither does a battery pull.  On my Windows PC, the Desktop Manager disconnects when the BB is connected via USB (not connecting it thru a hub either). I also tried to work through the frozen screen fix suggested elsewhere in the BB forums via the C drive RIM app loader, but that didn't work either. 

IT IS NOT A BATTERY PROBLEM because the last time, simply removing the auxilary 4G memory card made the unit work.  The battery from my BB works just fine in my husband's identical 8350 Curve, and his unit shows there is still plenty of charge left on the battery.  His fully charged battery in my BB curve shows the big red X too, so it is not the battery that is the problem.

It has something to do with a download corrupting something in the Operating System. I have not seen anything in any BB "Big Red X" error message forum that recognizes downloading as a reason for the problem.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jhnash01
My Device: Curve 8530

Re: Red X Shown On Battery--DOWNLOADING corruption is the Problem

Also, the screen looks just like Amy's posted picture above.
Please use plain text.
abeichelberger
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: nTelos

Okay....so, I'm getting this battery icon w? big red x ontop of the battery.  I pulled the battery and charged it for the last 2-3 hours.  nothing appears but this same icon.  I'm taking my phone back and getting something new tomorrow b/c all the messages I have read provide no reasonable solutions. So, thanks Blackberry. You suck, AND I'LL MAKE SURE THAT EVERYONE I KNOW AND MEET WILL NEVER BUY YOUR PRODUCTS. I WILL make it my personal mission that NO ONE BUYS YOUR PRODUCTS.

Please use plain text.