Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Zaheera1994
My Device: blackberry 9300

Restore BBM contacts

Hi, I recently gave my phone into repair and recieved a new blackberry. i backed my old blackberry up using desktop manager,  how do'I get back my old BBM contacts. Iv tried restoring my phone but that didnt work. Could you please give me advice on what to do. 

ThankYou

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: Restore BBM contacts

Hi Zaheera

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Which version of BBM you have on your device .Please try those Articles :

KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

User Guide to BlackBerry Messenger - 7.0 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Zaheera1994

Its the BBM 7.0 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi Zaheera1994

With BBM7 all contacts are stored or asscoiated with our BlackBerry ID ,If you had installed BBM7 your old device  then login with the same  BlackBerry ID on your new device it will add all of your BBM contacts on your new device.

Or to resolve your issue with your contacts try installing BBM 6.2 on your device and restore your Contacts from the backup that you have ,Once you get your contacts back then you can update your BBM to ver 7 it will integrate your Contacts with your BlackBerry ID. To install BBM 6.2 please go through this thread HOWTO : install BBm 6.2 if you have trouble with BBm 7 .

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Zaheera1994

How do'i log in with my blackberry ID, because when i got my new BB i transferred everything onto there, but i couldnt transferr my BBM contacts. i cant seem to  install BBM 6.2 either 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi Zaheera1994

Where you trying to login BlackBerry ID ? Our device will always remain login to BlackBerry ID if BlackBerry Data Plans are activated.Go to Options > Device > BlackBerry ID ( If needed login to BlackBerry ID) >  press the menu key > Check for Updates. Then open BBM and See if you are able to view your BBM contacts. 

Or , considering that you have BIS on your account. Try this :

First Uninstall any previous version of BBM from your device,Go to Options > Device > Application Management > Delete BBM from there , then perform a battery pull restart by removing the battery while device is POWERED ON.After Reboot from your BlackBerry Browser browse or click here http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=bbm6 to Install BBM 6.2 on your device.

After Installing BBM6.2 connect your device and open BlackBerry Desktop Software , Restore BBM contacts from your Backup file , Check this Knowledge Base for further help :

KB20554 : How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

KB10339How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file.

After restoring Open BBM to verify if contacts are restored on your device . Once it is restored reboot your device ,then again from your BlackBerry Browser Browse to www.blackberry.com/bbm  to download BBM 7. After Installing BBM7 your device will restart and will prompt to enter your BlackBerry ID.Just enter your BBID credential's need perform another reboot. 

Please try it and let us know of your progress.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djprophecyonline
My Device: Curve 9320

This is definitely a solution to my problem. Thank God!
Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

djprophecyonline wrote:
This is definitely a solution to my problem. Thank God!

Hello djprophecyonline

You are welcome .. I am glad that you search those forums and find the solution to your problem .

Cheers !

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
djprophecyonline
My Device: Curve 9320

Thank you Prince...but now I have another problem. I uninstalled blackberry messenger 7.0 and tried to install 6.(whatever) but there is no wa to do it...I just can't find a link to install a previous version. I did find one link to install 6.2.2 (or whatever) but every time I try to download it, it says that the install failed! Eish! Please help me with a link to maybe download a version 5.0 (or whatever) which I was using before I installed v 7.0 so that I can get my contacts back. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hey djprophecyonline

Link to download BBM6.2 is already on post 6 within this thread . If you're having problem then first reboot your device by removing the battery while your device is Powered On wait for a min then reinsert it back .

Finally after reboot use your BlackBerry browser and browse or click this link http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=bbm6  to Install BBM 6.2 on your device . This is a working link.

Please try it again and let us know. 

Please use plain text.