Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
pgard777
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: US Cellular

Retrieving backup date

How can I print out a copy of the abbacy file?  My wife's Blackberry died completely, and unfortunately we did not use the My Contacts Backup, so are up a creek if I can't print the date out.  can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Retrieving backup date

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

"abbacy" file? I'm not at all sure what that would be...

And, the date? As in the date/time stamp on the backup file itself? That would be found via your PC file manager, which as normal displays the date/time that files were created/accessed/edited.

Or maybe I'm not at all understanding your issue? If not, then please clarify.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pgard777
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: US Cellular

Sorry - don;t know what happened to my fingers there.  Should be more careful.  My wife had a Blackberry Curve 9330, and we did not use My Contacts Backup, but did back it up on the Desktop Software.  The phone went completely berserk one day, and none of the data was reitevable.  She did not want to get another blackbeery, so went to a Samsung galaxy Metrix.  But of course, the data on the Blackberry Desktop will not download to the Samsung.  Is there a way to print out the data that is in the Blackberry Desktop Software backup file?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Ahhh...that makes more sense now! Indeed, there may be a way to accomplish even more than you desire (mere printing for manual re-entry).

There are several PC-based apps out there that will read the proprietary backup file. The backup files are not "human readable" as they are of a proprietary format, with their sole intention to be used as the source of restore (via the RIM Desktop Software) to another BB. But, 3rd party developers have written apps that will parse the file and make it human-readable, and indeed allow you to save it to a familiar format (e.g., Excel) so that you can reformat it into whatever layout your new device may require for importing (hence, avoiding the manual re-typing of everything!).

Search (via your favorite Internet search engine) for either "IPD Reader" or "BBB Reader" -- depending on which version of the Desktop Software you used to take that backup, the backup file will either have extension of IPD or BBB (they changed it at some point, so you need to look at what you have). I am relatively confident that there are several free PC-based apps out there that can do exactly what you require.

Also, search this site...it's been discussed many times, but I simply cannot recall any of the names of those apps (nor do I want to endorse one over another...you must review the options and pick the one that best meets your needs).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.