Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Rookie User With Feedback

My new BlackBerry Pearl is a wonderful tool for my business -- I'm no longer chained to my desktop computer and can receive my email even when I'm at a client site! But I do have a gripe that has applied to every cell phone I've owned in the last 10 years or so, and that's about the external operating buttons.

I wish cell phone manufacturers would add some kind of locking option for these buttons. Whenever I put my BlackBerry in my pocket, either the voice activator chirps, "Say a command" repeatedly and uninvited, or the camera takes numerous pictures of the inside of my pocket, clogging my system memory to the point where I don't have enough bandwidth to receive emails (fortunately, I figured that one out quickly enough to receive a critical message in time). A lock/unlock toggle, either as a program setting or a simple hardware switch, would solve these problems and make me a very grateful and loyal customer. Heck, even a lightweight accessory that blocks the buttons (like the "bra" on a sports car bumper) would do the trick. I thought about sticking Band-Aids on my phone, but I really don't want it marred with nasty adhesive.

Anybody else out there as aggravated as I am?

New Contributor

Re: Rookie User With Feedback

I have the Blackberry Curve 8310 and it's the first non-flip phone I've used.  I have the same problem, the keys get pressed in my pocket and there's an application open when I pull my phone out to use it.  Although I don't use it, the Curve does have a key lock function.  You can enable it by clicking on the icon or in my case (since I turned off dialing when pushing the buttons at the home screen), I just press the "k" key, and the keys lock.  To unlock you press the * key and the green call button.  I would think the Pearl would have this feature.
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]
Go to Options -- Screen/Keyboard and set one of the side buttons (convenience keys) to lock the device. Give it a push and lock your phone. Simple. Unlock it when you pull it out of your pocket, bag, etc.
Message Edited by Yanks77 on 07-18-2008 03:39 PM
New Contributor

Fantastic! Indirectly, that worked. By going to the location you suggested, I found an even better solution. There actually *is* an option to choose what app those buttons control, including "nothing." I chose "nothing" with a huge grin on my face -- problem SOLVED!
New Contributor

I have a Pearl as well.  There is a button on the top, somewhat hidden as it is less of a button and more of a left-hand edge of the top bar.  This is the Standby button.  Pressing it for about 1 second leaves the unit on, turns off the screen, and locks the keys for you.  Then, push it again to come out of standby and you are good to go.

I think this is what you are looking for.