Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Roxio doesn't work - here is the solution

To all new Curve (8300 series) owners installing Blackberry Desktop Manager - be advised that the Roxio media management software that comes with it is simply a pile of dung and doesn't work.  Check almost any relevant discussion group on the web if you don't believe me.  There are complaints everywhere about bad design, serious installation problems, even worse de-installation problems, and finally and above all - yes - IT DOESN'T WORK.  Do not feel bad when video files don't convert to files that play properly on your Curve, or when the software freezes - it is not you - Roxio is just a flat-out crummy product and DOESN'T WORK.

The simple answer is (i) de-install (or better, never install) the provided CD for Desktop Manager with Roxio (vn 4.2 SP2 and later) and instead, install the previous - stable - Vn 4.2 SP1 or earlier made entirely by Blackberry, which you can get at http://www.wireless.all.com/bbdownloads and probably other places too.  Then (ii) find any of a profusion of cheap video converters for the Blackberrry that are all over the place and actually work.  Some are free and work fine, the one I chose was Mobiola Video Studio for about $20 which works perfectly with the Blackberry in Mass Storage Mode.  I am not theorising, it works, it works easily and well and on the first try.  If you don't want Mobiola, just look for one that speciafically lists your model of the Blackberry Curve as a device it handles.  (The Curve is very VERY fussy about what video formats it will play, and the standard labels like "WMV" and "AVI" mean nothing, because there are countless incompatible variants for each.  Unless you want to become a tech, do what I did.) 

Until Blackberry (really RIM) comes to its senses and fires these clods at Roxio, this is by far the best solution and will make all your Roxio problems go away.  It took me two days to find this solution - who do I send my bill to, RIM or Roxio?  :smileytongue:

New Contributor

Re: Roxio doesn't work - here is the solution

I was having the same issues as everyone else, as well as having the no zoom on the camera problem.  I removed the battery while the phone was still on and put it back.  Now all my problems seem to be gone.  My Blackberry is recognized again when I go into media manager, and my zoom works.  It seems to me to be worth a try for anyone expirencing this problems.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

JMKOLM-

You've hit it spot on.  I haven't seen an application as bad as the Roxio Media Manager since the late 90's.  It's an absolutely abysmal piece of software with apparently no QA done before it was packaged with these new phones.  (Mine is a 8820.)

MEMO to RIM/Blackberry:  If you are planning on competing with other PDAs and SmartPhones (not to mention the IPhone), you'd better find a replacement for Roxio now.  Otherwise, Bold and Thunder will be huge disappointments. 

We've spent a considerable amount of money for your products--Now it's up to you to provide software that works properly. 

Message Edited by dgrisman on 06-30-2008 02:44 PM
New Contributor
My Device: Verizon Curve 8330

does the prgam you mentioned as a solution work for music files as well as videos etc . ? does it synch with Windowws media player ?

the Internet radio progam from clickadd works well !

Gregory S Pokrywka MD, FACP

Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Women’s Menopausal Health

Assistant Professor of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Inaugural Diplomate American Board Clinical Lipidology
Certified Menopause Practitioner: North American Menopause Society
Director: Baltimore Lipid Center
Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: ATT

Well, I'll be the dissenting one. Picked up my 8310 a few weeks ago and loaded the DM w/MM from the CD. Saw that it was an older release, downloaded and installed the latest version a few days later. Last week I downloaded and installed DM 4.5 w/MM. No trouble, worked fine. Then installed a Media Card, plugged in the phone and MM recognized it right away and I was able to swap my music, pictures, etc... with no trouble. I've seen all the posts about how bad it was and was ready to find something else as soon as necessary. Well, haven't needed to use any other app to do what it supposed to do, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mobiola is just a little app for videos (that works simply and well), but the same company offers bigger apps that do everything - go to http://www.warelex.com/ .  There is a lot that works for the BB, just not Roxio, and I suggest you only get apps that explicitly state - in the dialog boxes in the software, not just in the sales blurb - that you are creating files for your specific model of Blackberry.  This is one of a great many things Roxio doesn't seem to understand.

For Ragorman whose Roxio is working, good job, you may want to have it stuffed and photographed.  Now try converting any (say) Windows Media video from Moviemaker into BB format and see what happens.  My guess is that you will get audio but no video, as Roxio is clueless about the subtleties of format differences between Blackberry models.  Please let us know how you get on!

Incidentally RIM has just released versions of Destop Manager 4.2 and later (all the way up to 4.5) that do not use Roxio, located at https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/ .   RIM is quite responsive as a company and the chorus of bad noise about Roxio has obviously had an effect.  If you have shares in Roxio this might be a good time to sell.

Message Edited by jmkolm on 06-30-2008 08:28 PM
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ummm, don't hate me, but... I did my first conversion of an 8meg mpg file to mp4... "Converted for Optimum Playback" or whatever. took about 5 seconds and played perfectly on the 8310...

Did I get the only copy that works- or the only phone that works WITH Media Manager? 

oh, I'll try a wmv file tomorrow... I'll let you know...

Message Edited by ragorman on 06-30-2008 10:35 PM
Regular Contributor

WMV to MP4.... poifect. dropped it in, convert for optimal playback, etc... Unplug, play on the phone- perfect sound and picture. So I guess now you really hate me... well, phhbbbttt.... Of course it will probably get all screwed up on 4.5, but for now, I'm happy....
New Contributor

As is often said:  "You pay your money and you take your chances".  Obviously, it's working sweet for Ragoman.  But, there are some of us for which it doesn't work at all. 

I've tested it on XP Pro SP2 and Vista Ultimate SP1 and have obtained similar results:  The application takes a long time to start up and works (sluggishly) when not connected to my 8820.  Add the 8820 via USB and things really slow down.  Opening the 8820 media card folder in the app provides a 50% chance of lock up, with a Task Manager "End Task" as the only way to exit the program.  The application's performance on my Vista machine was shockingly unstable:  I couldn't smoothly scroll through my hard drive's music library without having it jump around--selecting a single track was almost impossible. 

I tested DM 4.2.1 and it works very well.  No problems.  So that should rule out any problems with the 8820, as least with respect to that non-Roxio Media Manager.  And that's the one I'll use.

A search of "Roxio conflicts"  provides some insight into why it works the way it does.  Roxio apps appear to have serious conflicts with all versions of Windows OSs, as well as such common desktop software as Windows Media Player, Itunes, Nero media software,  and there have been reported conflicts with Mac OS X.  

So, for those of you of whom it works, you have been "blessed", at least temporarily.  (Just don't change anything on your machine and you'll be safe.)

Strategically, RIM is in a tough situation when it comes to mainstream media players for use with their phones.  They can't use iTunes because they compete with the iPhone.  They can't use Windows Media Player because they compete with MSFT's Windows Mobile.  So that leaves Roxio with their WMD-grade media software as their only partner.  

I'd really like to get the "Bold" when it launches, but frankly, being stuck with Roxio software in the DM may be a deal-breaker. 

Contributor

Man I hope this works. I just posted last night re: not being able to download music other than what was burned from a disc.  I'm going to try it now. Thanks for the heads up.