Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
saleensue
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Roxio doesn't work - here is the solution

I am having the same problem with media manager. It shows that I am connected on the phone itself and for all other applications it IS connected. Only on Media Manager am I getting the Runtime error message. I am also with Verizon and am not stupid and know how to operate a computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software numerous times to no avail. I also contacted Verizon and was given a download address to download desktop software and with the download am still getting message. Very frustrating. I too feel if I am paying for something it should work. Let me know if you figure this out.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmkolm

Don't even bpther with Roxio - get rid of it using Add/Delete programs (specifically on Roxio) and then uninstall Desktop Manager.  Now install a newer version that doesn't use Roxio - see this thread for details.  RIM is aware of the problem (I talked to them and no doubt others did too) and ditched Roxio quite fast - later versions are available for download Roxio-free.  There are lots of good freeware media managers out there, and other cheap ones like Mobiola.  Don't waste another minute puzzling over Roxio, it works like a lard toilet seat.  :-)
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

If I understand correctly, Roxio is useful only to convert videos into an optimized format for Blackberry. For the rest, there is :
- Windows Explorer and it's good old drag'n'drop
- Media Sync for iTunes music

Can someone give me an URL of an optimized video for Blackberry ? I'm sure I can find a free tool to do the conversion. And post a tutorial. That done, drag'n'drop will be enough.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmkolm

I am quite fond of Mobiola Video Studio simply because it works and is cheap.  You can download a free copy and instantly make the video file you want (from any AVi, MPEG etc) which, as you say, you can then copy to your BB using Explorer.  Mobiola lets you set the exact model of BB you have, and then knows the right format automatically.

By contrast, Roxio does not have a f***ing clue.  In addition to very poorly-designed and tested software, they simply do not seem to understand the video formats involved.  There are posts everywhere with complaints about "converted" Roxio videos that don't play at all, are blank, have no sound, or have sound but no picture.  You would do better with software written by the Three Stooges.  Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Mobiola also has more expensive offerings that do audio etc etc, and I'm sure these work too.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Xandrex wrote:
If I understand correctly, Roxio is useful only to convert videos into an optimized format for Blackberry. For the rest, there is :
- Windows Explorer and it's good old drag'n'drop
- Media Sync for iTunes music

Can someone give me an URL of an optimized video for Blackberry ? I'm sure I can find a free tool to do the conversion. And post a tutorial. That done, drag'n'drop will be enough.

I have posted a turorial here :

HOWTO : put a video for Blackberry

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
tooner

Just bought a 9000 and added an 8G card and Roxio is a SLUG! Running XP Media Center Edition with gobs of processing speed and ram and it hangs up EVERY TIME and have to stop it through Task Manager. Roxio is packed with the 4.6 Desktop Software (latest) version.

The program works fine on the Blackberry but not at all on the computer and the computer can't 'see' the Blackberry without it.

So I remove the Micro-SD card, put it in a reader, copy the media I want, reload the card in the Blackberry and it all seems to work fine - but what a pain - at least the memory slot is on the outside!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
manny35

You guys are most likely going to hate me for this but you're overcomplicating what is an easy job.

This is for Windows:- Plug the phone in and give it time to be found which will normally bring up the AutoPlay system. Go to what should be the last option "Open folder to view files" and go through until you find the file you are looking for i.e. "music" then open the computer's music file and you can "drag and drop" across. If you don't get the AutoPlay click Start-Computer-and you should find "Blackberry". Double click this and follow through the same as the AutoPlay and you've got it. No need to pull the card although this can possibly be faster. 

Please use plain text.
wlegrow

Actually - if you want to be really simple about this - Windows Media Player works really well with my blackberry!  It's actually pretty quick and I don't have to worry about downloading other software.  It even organizes playlists and all my music - it even works well with iTunes.  I know - it's so easy to trash MS, but to be honest, they did do this pretty well and since it's already on your computer and is a pretty quick solution - I can't find a better one. 
Please use plain text.