Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
wmize
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Running my battery down?

Hello I have the 8330. A few days ago I started noticing that my battery was dying pretty quick. I have not had my phone that long less then a month. Now it takes it about a day to fully run the battery down with me even using the phone. I started watching it a little bit ago and notice that the little hour glass icon kept popping up in the middle of the screen about ever 10 seconds. I am under the impression that it is trying to access something but am not sure what or how to figure out what. Has anyone had this problem before or knows of a way to figure out what it is trying to access? I would rather figure this out instead of taking back to verizon and get them to look at it. Thanks a lot.
New Contributor
Been

Re: Running my battery down?

Two things can be the cause; first, did you properly educate the battery properly in the beginning, that is first fully charge, then run till its flat and recharge so the cells get lively? Secondly it is possible you entered an unsupported SD card in it, reason why you see the hourglass.
Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

I am going to bet you have low memory, click on options and then on status, post your file free and file total numbers here.

I will get you a list of steps to take to free your memory.

~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Contributor
wmize

Yes I ran the battery down completely then recharged it. There is no SD card in my phone.
Contributor
wmize

From the status menu it says:

File Free: 44519123 Bytes

File Total: 83623936 Bytes

Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222

That Isn't low!  OK try this.

Hold down the alt key and press and release the back arrow key next to the trackball. This will show you what apps you have running in the background.  You can't close browser, PTT, home, messages, phone and BB messenger.  What else do you have open?  Hitting the red hang up key doesn't close an app.  You have to hit the menu key and then close or exit.  I would lose my battery charge really quick because I would never close Opera Mini.  Oops!

Super Contributor
jrdante
My Device: Blackberry 9530

I've seen this on a few Blackberries.  The hourglass is constantly popping up all day long.  This is not normal behaviour and I believe it has been traced back to a software problem.  Even with a constant internet connection, the hourglass will not show, you just get the data arrows indicating data transfer.  If this is a new device, I would return it to the place of purchase and ask for a new one. 

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Contributor
wmize

Holding down the alt key thing shows the following apps running:

Messages, Blackberry Messenger, Home Screen, Call Log, and Browser.

So would my best bet be to return it to verizon and get a new one? Or take it to them and see if they can figure it out? I would rather fix it myself if possible.

Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222

To behonest, other than what we looked at, I don't have any other ideas what is causing it.  Did you recently download any new apps?
Contributor
wmize

Nope haven't added any apps at all except what came with the phone.