Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: SMS too short

[ Edited ]

hello, I'd like to add some informations about SMS.

SMS is a messaging system :

• that allows to send messages containing 160 characters max.
  • a delivery receipt can be asked by the sender A
  • a delivery receipt, if requested by sender A, can be sent back by the recipient B to the sender A ; that receipt may or may not be billed to the recipient B
  • Some SMS clients allow linking several SMS messages, meaning that, provided the SMS client allows it, it is possible :
    1. for sender A to write a huge text message, and have it split automatically before being sent, under the form of several SMS messages (of 160 chars max)
    2. for recipient B to combine back several SMS messages and glue them into a single text message

That's a fine technology, isn't it ?

Drawback :

You may use MS Outlook Express. It provided something similar if you want to send a big attachment file. Example : you want to send a 4MB file by email as attachment, but your mail provider allows you a 3MB filesize max per email. So Outlook express automaticall splits the file into file1 and file2, and sends two emails. Your recipient, also using MS Outlook Express, recognizes the bond between file1 and file2, an glues them to recreate the original file.
Problem is : file1 and file2 are just garbage, nobody can use them. Meaning that your recipient can get open file only if he/she has MS Outlook Express. Other wise the small files will be of no use for him/her.

For the SMS, it's a bit the same : if recipient B does not have an SMS client able to glue back such SMS messages, he/she will see the two regular SMS. It's no big deal though.

Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-06-2008 08:58 AM
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-06-2008 08:59 AM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: