Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Mommajack
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

SSL, POP3, and SMTP

I keep getting emails from about setting SSL settings for POP3 and SMTP.  I have it configured on my main email settings for my client.  Do I have to set it as well for my Blackberry? And if so how?
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: SSL, POP3, and SMTP

You're getting mails from which address? What does it contain?

To get mails in BlackBerry you need to integrate IDs in your device. And to integrate email IDs just follow the below instruction -

1. Go to Email Settings icon on your device
  2. Login using using the user name and password (if already set by you)
  3. Under Services click on Email Account
  4. Click on Add An Email Account to integrate any POP or IMAP enable email (i.e.. gamil, hotmial, ISP mail etc)
  5. To create BlackBerry.net ID click on Create A BlackBerry Email Address
  6. Type your preferred User Name and enter your Password for that ID

After every successful email integration you'll receive an confirmation email from Activation Server. That's it!! You're done with BIS email ID integration.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Mommajack

I'd already done all that. The message I get in my email (Yahoo) is:

We noticed that you are accessing email using non-secure settings in your email software.

We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and email messages are transmitted securely between your mail software (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers. In order to meet this need, please enable SSL via the instructions that are availible on the Help site.

Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about this, we request that you please make the necessary changes immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to continue to send/receive email using a mail client.

Despite the wording, I only recieved one notification because (I'm supposing) I quit checking my email using my Blackberry once I got the first one.

When I go to their help site it tells me only how to set this for Outloook Express, which I hate and don't use. So I was wondering if there were other settings in the Blackberry that needed to be adjusted.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

There is nothing regarding SSL  setup needed on the BB. It sounds like this is an ATT.Yahoo issue.

Even though you don't use Outlook express it may stop the message if you use their settings in Outlook express.

Personally I would get an independent account from yahoo, if you're able to do it and not upset the contacts you have through the account.

It would be easy enough to send out an email to all of your contacts to use your new email address. Make sure you keep your old account. Put a filter in the old one that says to forward all emails to the old address to the nee one.

Please let me know what you think! 

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Mommajack

OK, I'll do that. Thanks!
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Please resolve the thread if this answers your questions. Use the options over the yellow Kudos box.

Thanks,

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Visitor
seeacrane

I've had the EXACT same situation.  I have an AT&T Yahoo mail account.  When I started using my new Curve, I received the same message from Yahoo, & had an online chat with a Yahoo tech.  For a day, my email did not work on the BB.  The tech told me the security settings on my BB needed to be changed to reflect POP - pop.att.yahoo and SMPT as smtp.att.yahoo.com, to check the SSL boxes and specify the incoming and outgoing ports.  She said I needed to contact BB because it's their program.  my local store could not help me.  I re-setup my email account and email now works.  I can accept that nothing needs to be done to the BB to enable emails - but I'd sure like some official confirmation that my security is not compromised using a mobile device.  I don't feel I should have to set up another yahoo account and don't really see the purpose in that.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.