Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange

Scroll pad not working!! Help!

Hi there,

My scroll pad on by blackberry curve 8900 3g is keeps stopping working for long periods of time, i have obivously tried rebotting the device by taking out the battery when when ON and it has worked a couple of times but then it freezes again.  The phone is only a couple of months old.  Any advice appreciated

My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Scroll pad not working!! Help!

Can imagine this is a software/OS System issue, seems more like a hardware problem.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi

Please note the following instructions may need interpolating for your specific model; they work for mine.

Open the rear cover and remove the battery and sim card. There's a small rectangular stainless steel metal plate which is the cover for the touchpad. On the left area of this this plate next to the sim card is a tiny white soft piece of sticky paper covering a torx screw that holds the plate in place.

Use a torx screwdriver with a T5 size bit and carefully remove the screw, remove the metal plate then reinsert it and replace and tighten the torx screw. You may find that the screw was loose and the plate may not have been secured in place properly. This may solve your problem for good as a loose torx screw prevents the touchpad or optical pad from making the necessary full contact with the inside of this cover.

Be careful not lose the very tiny torx screw while working on it. You can get a very inexpensive torx screwdriver with a set of miniature bits for around a few £'s or $'s. Make sure there is a T5 bit in the set.

A temporary fix which might help until you get the right screwdriver is to put firm pressure on the metal plate cover with your finger. This does work for a while but the freezing always returns.

Another fix recommended by some is to remove and reinstall the Blackberry sotware but this is also not a reliable fix given the loose screw issue. The only real fix is to follow the above procedure as long as your touchpad is not physically defective and needs replacement.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin

At last something works. I'd already called my carrier a month ago and they told me to reinstall the software, which I've done twice but to no avail. It works for a while then freezes again. Today I got so fed up I phoned them again and they agreed to send me a new phone. I found your solution after I'd called them but could only use the temporary fix as I don't have tiny screw drivers. My scroll pad seems to be working now but it could go off again as you say, its only a temporary fix. However, I'm now getting a new phone so hopefully I'll not have this problem in future. Thanks again
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Glad to hear it was of help. Thank you for the kudos

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
My Device: Blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: Hannah reynolds

I have the same phone and my scroller wasn't working, i tried taking the battery out and pressing the scroller but non seemed to work, i read in another form that u could heat it up and that would fix it, i diddnt want to put in the oven so i just ended up rubbing it on the carpet, it created heat and must of fixed my scroller, ive only got my phone for another mounth so theres no point in me changing the scroller so whenever it stops working i just rub it on the carpet Smiley Happy
Contributor
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: o2

do you think this would work on a blackberry 9320?? My scroller isnt working at all unless its in an option so say your setting up the phone and you have to choose which language, that bit is fine but it wont scroll left or right.. Help me please as i would like to be using my blackberry again as i am currently using a sony which is touch screen and its too small for my hands. I hope i can get it fixed....