Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
ml20120702
My Device: Curve 8530

Security risks outside the radio network?

Hi,

I no longer use my Blackberry as a phone, so the radio receiver no longer connects to any network. As I understand it, this means that I can no longer connect to Blackberry Internet Service.

However, I would still like to use my BB to compose e-mails from time to time (which I can do via a WiFi connection and a program like Logicmail).

My concern is that, since I'm not connected to BIS, my Blackberry might be exposed to more security risks than before. Blackberries are supposed to be relatively secure, but how much does this level of security depend on BIS?

Should I look into BB antivirus programs at this point (assuming that reliable programs of this kind exist)?

Please use plain text.
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Security risks outside the radio network?

Hi ml20102702,

A subscription to the BlackBerry® Internet Service is required to send emails via your BlackBerry® smartphone.  You can still have a BlackBerry® data plan, and not have a phone plan.  For more information on that, contact your wireless provider.

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.