11-18-2008 04:58 PM
I have downloaded 3 custom ringtones for my 8320. I have attempted to set custom ring tones for specific people.
I went into the contact list - edited my contact and applied a custom ring tone to them.
Then in the profiles area - under advanced - i have tried specifiying "Use active profile EXCEPT for: and selected the friend I have assigned a specific ring tone.
When my phone rings from this person or I get an SMS from them....it still sounds the generic ring tone set for all incoming calls and sms.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-18-2008 05:22 PM
Hi and welcome to the forms!
If you go to Media, ringtones, can you play the file?
Did you put the on the media card, in the ringtones folder?
Do you happen to know what file format they were in (.wav.mp3 etc,)
11-18-2008 05:25 PM
Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.
If you have the custom ringtone set for a contact for a PHONE call, you don't need to check the exception.
Now, setting a custom SMS notification is more complicated deal.
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code
11-18-2008 06:49 PM - edited 11-18-2008 07:04 PM
You forgot your update JS!
You know all my ramblings that I try to add!!
11-18-2008 06:54 PM
Welcome to blackberry forums. Ringtones and SMS tones are set up differently as my friends above have shared. I agree with JSanders the SMS is a little complicated but once you get the hang of it - it wont take you long! It took me a while to get it - but I did! I followed these below directions from JSANDERS.
It is complicated for SMS tones, but possible. Follow the directions here:
This workaround will allow you to have specific alerts for email and messages from specific senders:
(Works with OS 4.2 and above)
1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.
2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.
3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.
4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.
5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).
6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.
7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.
8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.
9. Save the changes.
Now once you have followed these for each SMS contact - click save as number nine says. Go back to your profile and click either normal or loud for the profile sound. Make sure you do not have any exceptions already in your exception area regarding the ones you have made a SMS tone for. if you do, remove them so you SMS tone will work. You can actually set your ringtones under each one of these you set up as well. When you are changing your SMS sounds, you can click on phone and change your ringtone to that specific one. Hope you can understand this.
All of us will be more than happy to help you, just let us know!
Have a great day and good luck. Enjoy your blackberry!
11-19-2008 05:39 AM
12-06-2008 03:38 PM
note - I deleted the prior exception, and recreated an exception with the new profile.. but when she texts me, I still get the standard alert from "normal" profile. what can I be doing wrong? I'm so frustrated - I've followed this step by step over and over again