Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Trusted Contributor
rrr_04
My Device: Not Specified

Setting "Days To Keep Messages" = Forever does not work; txt messages still deleted

(I have the BB Bold 9300 with OS6.)

My blackberry deleting my old txt messages. My old 3-year old Nokia phone would at

least *warn* me that my txt message box was full and allowed me to choose which messages

I deleted and which I saved. However my BB just seems to randomly delete entire txt

conversations when it decides they are "too big" or "too old". This can be within a month

or a few days - totally random.

I followed the advice of the prior poster and set "Days to Save Message" = Forever. This

does not actually work. I set to Forever and it still arbitrarily deletes txt messages (Fyi: it

will keep everything else: email, voicemail, etc even though that is actually backed up and

txt is not. So my BB "memory" is not full, I have elsewhere and the txt messages are lost

entirely.)

The BB manual has a section in "Troubleshooting: Messages" entitled "Some messages

no longer appear on my device". It states: "If the application storage on your BlackBerry®

device is full or you have more than 65,000 email messages, PIN messages, and text

messages, your device deletes the oldest messages from a message list. Your device does

not delete saved messages."

I can assure you that I have not exceeded 65,000 messages and I have tons of storage. I

have 100+ MB free on my device. You can't even force the BB to auto-save SMS to your

media card, so my 4 GB media card is basically empty and my txt messages are still being

lost.

So the answer is ... manually save each message? NOT happening.

Suffer arbitrary data loss bec BB can't get their act together? Are you kidding?!?

Is there any point in even complaining to RIM about this bug in OS6? IMHO, it all goes

back to their tech being old, their target market being corporate, and the corporate

priority being email, not txt.

So perhaps my answer is?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rrr_04
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Setting "Days To Keep Messages" = Forever does not work; txt messages still deleted

It's pretty annoying.

The issue doesn't affect emails, bbms or any other messages - just SMS.

Stupid green icon... :smileysad: :smileysad:

Any solution for this problem ? atlist there any setting that will warn before device start deleting SMS? Like other phones?

Please use plain text.
sammichael
My Device: z10
My Carrier: att

Re: Setting "Days To Keep Messages" = Forever does not work; txt messages still deleted

How to set device to keep emails forever?
Please use plain text.