Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
maniaco
My Device: Blackberry 9300 3G Smartphone

Slow download speed

Hey, guys.
I have a Blackberry 9300 which normally downloads at ~120kb/s, but during the last two weeks it doesn't want to go faster that 5kb/s. I've already tried the battery pull, I am in a 3G capable zone and all my bars are full.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Contributor
Historymaker
My Device: Blackberry 9300 3g

Re: Slow download speed

You not alone. I have the same phone and carrier with the same frustrating download speed rate. I have contacted Vodacom and each time I get a different answer. The most recent was that cos my phone was originally bought as an MTN product I had to see MTN to release an APN pin for it not to interfere with Vodacom blackberry internet service which didn't make sense at all. I have googled the problem and it seems we not the only one's out there without a solution to this problem.
Contributor
maniaco

That can't be the issue. I bought my phone through Vodacom and I still am with them. I've also phoned them and they can't ever give a definite answer.
Contributor
Historymaker

Yes you right, visited the mtn outlet where I purchased my phone and they thought I was talking rubbish lol. I have seen this problem on google as far away as Australia. Seems our buddy 9300 has a bug. I'm disappointed cos I love downloading as much as I love my phone.
Contributor
Historymaker

But try downloading using a sim card that does not have the blackberry internet service. Type 'internet' into your apn than save. You will notice that your download speed is back to normal but your internet won't be free. That puzzled me as well.
Contributor
maniaco

I can say the same. Although, I've had the phone for 9 months and only recently my download speed has been this slow. Hopefully there will be a solution soon. This is such a hassle.
New Contributor
bjorncoetsee
My Device: bold 9780

I have bold 9780, my download speed were 170kbs average. Then it dropped to 20kbs, but in the morning at 4am I could still download at 170kbs, now the last 2months I can't get more download speed than 6kbs! This is bull**bleep**, I pay thousands of rand for a 3g phone!! And I'm getting worse speeds than a gprs phone! Why didn't I just bought an cheap 8520 edge phone! This should end, I'm paying for filesharing sites every month, and my BIS subscruption! Now I can't download! Wasting 100s of rands every month for nothing! Can't even browse, always requesting! Vodacom says I must sort it out with blackberry self! Vodacom says its not their network, but BIS self. Someones stealing our money! We should get what were told we would get! We pay every month,but no service! Fix it! Keep this post active so we can update each other on how stuff progresses.
Contributor
Historymaker

Thanks for your message. I have tried contacting blackberry but they only have a contact centre on how to use their Playbook tablet! Vodacom has also told me the same that bis is not their responsibility. Yet a guy from the playbook call centre said to me that I should speak to my network provider on my BIS issue. I am off to Vodacare this weekend. Its my last resort. But mind you, my network is very fast if I use a simcard without the bis loaded on it
New Contributor
bjorncoetsee
My Device: bold 9780

Even if it is BIS, its vodacom's responsibility to solve it, they can't tell us paying customers to go solve it with bis ourselfs! Its the same as if I had a restaurant, and my food gives someone food poisening,and I tell my customers to go sort it out with my food providers?! No no no, its the company's responsibility to solve it! Vodacom and BIS is working togheter, not us and bis, or us and vodacom! We pay, we should get service!
Contributor
maniaco

True. Fair enough if the BIS has a few minor issues and they are working on the problem to solve it, but they could have had the common courtesy to have had told all their subscribers as to what was/is going on. But I highly doubt that is the scenario. There's no point in me paing the excess R60 a month if it means that I'll only be able to use my browser to download one or two things a day. Let's hope for some progress.