Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Leap
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Smart Dialling doesn't work!

Is Smart Dialling supposed to work in the UK? I ask because I've tried every possible combination of settings on my phone, but nothing works.

The Area Code is 0151 and local numbers are 7 digits long, so the length I enter should be 11, right? No, doesn't work. I've tried every combination I can think of, such as entering 151 for the code and making the length 10, but nothing seems to work.

BTW, what happens if I enter a 7-digit local number is I get a message saying 'Unable to connect your call.'

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something?

PS My network (Vodafone UK) say it should work, but they can't help me with the settings.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Smart Dialling doesn't work!

Hello raymartin01,

Please review the following section of the BlackBerry 9360 smartphone user guide on setting the default country code and area code: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/33213/Set_the_default_country_code_and_a...

Note: 

Country code +44

Area Code 0151

National Number Length is 10

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor

Re: Smart Dialling doesn't work!

If you had read my post you would see that I've already tried every possible combination of number length, area code, etc, and NOTHING WORKS.

My question is: Is Smart Dialling supposed to work in the UK, and if it is, does it need to be set up/enabled by your service provider?

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Smart Dialing doesn't work!

Hi raymartin01,

Sorry for the confusion, it was indicated in the post that Area code 0151 was used with a National Number Length of 11 and Area code 151 was used with a National Number Length of 10. I see you indicated you have tried all possible combinations, from the information I have inquired the correct configuration should be Area Code 0151 with National Number Length of 10.

Smart dialing is supported in the UK, if the configuration provided is not working I would suggest contacting your wireless service provider and request they escalate this issue to BlackBerry technical support for further investigation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor

Re: Smart Dialing doesn't work!

Thanks for the prompt reply.

After further discussions with Vodafone technical support, I can now confirm that the problem lies in two different causes - one of which is my misunderstanding of how Smart Dialling is supposed to work.

The first problem is that there is no such thing as a National Number Length in the UK - the length varies from 4 numbers up to 11 depending on your location. This means that unless all the numbers you store happen to be the same length, it won't work. This is further complicated by the fact that in certain areas, addresses on the same street can have different local codes and number formats.

The second problem is that I didn't fully understand how Smart Dialling is supposed to operate, I was under the impression that, having entered the correct country and local codes into SD, I could just dial the same number as I would dial from a landline. This is not the case, Smart Dialling only works with stored numbers. This being so, I have to say I don't see what the point of Smart Dialling is! Surely you just store the correct format in the first place, or am I missing something?