Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Not Specified

Smartphone In Europe

I use my phone in North America (DC area) and will be travelling in Europe (London & Paris) soon. Will my phone (Verizon is the current carrier) work in London and Paris? If not, are there steps I can take to have them in service over there. Thanks!

Re: Smartphone In Europe

My AT&T Curve worked just great in Ireland. You need to ask your Verizon rep if you have the 'World" phone; if so, you have to then contact Verizon to authorize messages and phone calls in Europe. It's a small additional charge per month, but a lower per minute charge ($1 a minute or so). All of my messages and calls came over seamlessly from DC to Ireland.
Contributor

If it's the 8330 the answer I believe is "No".  The 8330 is a CDMA device like virtually all of Verizon's phones. European countries use GSM.  However, I believe the Blackberry 8830 from Verizon does support GSM for overseas (hence called the "world phone")...yet, I am under the impression the cost of calls is very high.

When I travel overseas I rent a cell phone or smartphone. Let the company know what countries I'm going to and they deliver the phone to my home with charger, etc. Rates are very reasonable..in some instances pretty cheap. When I return home I put the phone in a FedEx shipping box and send it back. Simple, Easy and affordable. Just need to make sure folks have the temp cell phone number when travelling.

harry 

I'm traveling to Europe and Russia for two and a half months, and have the BlackBerry Curve 8310 from AT&T. On the box it says "global roaming," but I just want to know if I put in a global roaming sim card if my phone would work or not.

I used my curve in Europe with a SIM card that I've purchased here in the US from www.callineurope.com, it worked great and I saved a lot of money (they have unlimited data plan in UK)