Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
pmfrench
My Device: Curve 9300

Some "newb" questions - Network and BBM

Morning -

I have some questions, I'm hoping someone can answer.  

Q1 - Presently the device (Curve 9300) is connecting to the router successfully but not connecting to the internet even though other devices are (the WiFi indicator is dim). Is there anything different you need to do on BB to get it to connect?  If it makes a difference, I'd to state that I am currently using the handset without a BB data plan, but I thought connection to WiFi would still have been possible.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Q2 - I will be getting a BB data plan activated shortly, and I have a BBM question.  Providers all state that BBM and email are free once you have the BB data plan.  Would this usually include when you are roaming as well?  

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Some "newb" questions - Network and BBM

AnsQ1: What are your trying to do once your device is connected to the wi-fi router? Your BlackBerry device will be able to connect to wi-fi and you should be able to browse internet, use FB, twitter app world only.

Ans Q2: If you're on roaming then roaming charges will apply.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
pmfrench

Hi & thanks for the response.

I have Opera installed and it won't connect to anything.  The WiFi icon is dim.

Plus in 'Manage Connections' there is a dash in the box and not a tick, even though it has successfully connected to the router.

Paul

Elite II
tanzim

Check the below links -

tanzim                                                                                  

New Contributor
pmfrench

Hi - Thanks for the responses so far.

Can you (or anyone) indicate what the dash in the check box (instead of a tick) means? I can't find this icon in any of the documentation I've read so far.

Elite II
tanzim

Check the below icon guides for 9300 -

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/21204/

Remove the Wi-Fi profile from your device and then again connect to W-Fi router. Let know the feedback.

tanzim                                                                                  

New Contributor
pmfrench

Hi Tanzim

I've looked over those docs prior to the thread and couldn't find the icon anywhere.  I have a screenshot of the issue which I'm trying to include, but doesn't look like I can attach images.... trying to see how I can get this shot added to the  thread...

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

pmfrench wrote:

I have a screenshot of the issue which I'm trying to include, but doesn't look like I can attach images.... trying to see how I can get this shot added to the  thread...

Hi pmfrench

To attach or upload a screenshot you may need to have atleast 10 posts , So if you want to post a screenshot then head over to the Welcome section of the Forums and there introduce yourself to a few other Users and make it 10 , then you may be able Upload your screen shot .

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
pmfrench

Hi again

I've been reading up a bit (or trying to) and it seems that Browser Configuration might be affecting this ability to connect.  Can anyone provide any confirmation or support for this?

My browser options are 02 Active, Hotspot Browser, and BlackBerry Browser. 

Maybe I should wait until my BB data becomes active and see if that makes a difference, but this was all because of an assumption that WiFi can be used without a data plan.