Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
Plado
My Device: Curve 8900

Speakerphone Key ? Where is it hiding please

I've been looking for ages to find the Speakerphone key (to make the phone loudspeak in handsfree mode).  Nothing on the Curve 8900 keyboard looks like a Speakerphone key.  
The Green handset key that you press for Connect doesn't logically seem to be a Speakerphone switch but I haven't had the chance to try it during a call.

Can anyone please help me find this elusive key?  I'm sure I'll kick myself once I know !

The pdf User Manual has not one single diagram showing the phone's keyboard layout with pointers to indicate which keys do what.  Can anyone point me to a downloadable manual that has some pictures of the phone and shows things like Convenience Keys and Menu keys; option keys etc

I think there was a Diagram with the original phone that came in the box but I have since lost both the box and the quick guide.

So I'd be very grateful if someone can help on this.

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

Re: Speakerphone Key ? Where is it hiding please

As usual the law of the sod, SOD Science Overwhelms Dimwits !
I've found the key. It is the microscopically small red Speaker icon on the $ key bottom right of keyboard just inside the Return key.

Could they not have said so in the manual?

I also discovered that you can access it by pressing the trackball whilst in a call and choosing the option Turn on Speakerphone - not quite so convenient but an option nonetheless.

I'd like to cancel this question if it saves anyone the trouble of replying, but I'd still like to know where I can find a Pictorial diagram of the phone and its options.
--
Plado

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
BBacum
My Device: Not Specified

I'd like to know either a Pictorial diagram of the phone and its options.

Your comment with Speaker key was great for me!

I needed also a quicker access but I was doing all the time for this action by accessing inside the menu. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm so pleased that at last something I've done on this forum has given someone else some help of a positive kind.

I haven't found any diagramatical maps of the keyboard and phone layout. I was hoping someone would do this for me and provide a good link, but so far nobody has.

Almost everything about this Curve 8900 has been stunningly good it beats all the competition that I've had experience of and I've owned a few phones right back to the Analogue mobile phone days of the early 1990s and the only 1% let down on the Curve, is the Support and Help files particularly in the manual. I really can't understand how someone can write a manual and state "To turn on the Speakerphone, press the Speakerphone Key" and then not tell you any description whatever to show where such a key resides on the keyboard.

The icons are far too small for someone of my age to view without using a monstrous magnifying glass! I've looked in every single free downloadable Manual that I can find,for the Curve 8900 and not one of them shows any diagram picture of the phone itself nor a map showing which keys are which. The company just expects us to know what they mean by a "Convenience Key" Home Screen menu; Speakerphone Key.

There are two instant "convenience" keys on the top; one for Locking the keyboard and one for entering standby mode and coming out again. There's a quick key on the right and one on the left which are the real convenience keys but why isn't the Volume Up and Volume down also a Convenience key? Methinks the company has got a bit knotted-up behind its own linguistics and they have run out of things to call buttons by.

I sympathize with designers but I have limited patience when they don't work-in sufficiently helpful things to guide those who are not in on "the knowledge". It's elitist and not very fair. Anyhow I mustn't rant on here, it's not the place, but if I find a diagram of the phone I'll post it up here.

If I don't find one then I am tempted to make one myself and post that up here instead - I won't be violating any copyrights then! 

Thanks for your appreciative comment.

-- 

Plado

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jculbertson
My Device: Bold 9700

Thanks. I couldn't find the button either - the tiny icon on the $-key.
Please use plain text.
pluscher
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks from me too!

I had to resort to a Google search in order to find the speakerphone button.  Plus I had looked in the bottom right where the key used to be on my previous Blackberry.  The small, almost invisible icon is surely a usability oversight by RIM.  

I also couldn't find the power button for about a week (it's on the top in invisible writing on something that doesn't look like a button).

I still can't find the model -- when looking for help I had to know it was the "Bold" model -- where does it say that?  It took me about 5 minutes searching on the internet to match a picture of my model.

Honestly users, don't beat yourselves up over this stuff -- it IS poor design by RIM not user error.  This stuff should have been field-tested.

P.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

Well I'm so pleased I helped someone (more than one) on this.  I don't think the design is "bad" as much as a little mis-guided.  The phone has so many superb things about its design but they have a potential to shoot themselves in the foot over some aspects of it.  After all they're trying to make it practical and functional, plus good looking with sales appeal.   They can get carried away with Form taking just a bit too much priority over Function.

I can't really see the advantage of having a Qwerty keyboard that is so small you can't touch type on it.

I can type at 80 words a minute, but  nobody can type at the speed of a touch-typing person when just using thumbs or two forefingers on the Curve. Certainly I could do a text message using thumbs or one finger on an ordinary phone much faster than I can do it on the Blackberry Curve -  but then there's one advantage in it being a qwerty, in that you don't have to use any predictive text nor get the ridiculous comedy of errors that predictive text can produce (consider "spawn agribog" and you'll know what I mean!) 

My eyesight is not what it used to be, but then I'm 62 and can't expect it to be.  I do admit that I had to use a big magnifying glass to find that Speakerphone key - but what annoys me more than anything is the way the manual says the utterly ridiculous comment - "To switch on the speakerphone, press the Speakerphone Key" and then doesn't tell you where to find it!  They should give the person who wrote that one a ducking in a pond full of slurry for that error.   Not only did the manual have no mention of where that key was, it didn't even have a diagram of the phone's interface showing what keys do what - I searched over a hundred pages I think to discover there is no diagram.  User manual ?  Rubbish.

No, better still, not a slurry-pond let's campaign to make the designer of the manual and the phone have their next two years pay, divided into 1000 parts and hide each part in 1000 boxes locked by a combination that can only open when they have worked out a similar examples of phones with hidden command keys.   Once they can find the required button they can open the box to the 1000th part of their pay and move on to box number 2 !  They can be locked in a room and given food and water, but not allowed out until they've got all their salary out.  Anyone with me on that?   It would get our own back for the time we've wasted searching the web for the answer to their crazy puzzle.

Enjoy your Blackberry - life's too short to let it get you down.

--

Plado

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
digbym

Great! I too have been struggling with the menu durng a call and just tried a Google search to find out if there was a special key. This will make my life much easier. registered on this forum just to post his answer. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

Digby M

How kind of you to do that.  I'm very touched by that gesture.  And to think I only found that key by accident.

You'd think that someone involved with the Blackberry company might have come here and put a simple apology, or excuse, or reason why all the manuals associated with the Blackberry phone have omitted the one essential thing that all manuals should have, and that's a flippin diagram of the phone face with numbered mapping to indicate where all the relevant keys are.

Did they think we're all psychic or something?  It beggars belief that the manual can have been compiled by someone who is that dumb.   It's one of those cases where the person who compiled and designed the booklet should have had his next years worth of salary spread over and locked inside 2000 cases with combination locks on them and he/she could be made to sit in a darkened room and told they can't have their money until they've unlocked the whole set by trial and error, just to show them what a pain in the you know where, the user manual has been to thousands of users.

I'm not "having a go" at them, far from it, but I do wish they'd use a bit of common sense and not rain down their crazy designs onto the patience of millions of customers who have to sit in frustration at woking out such a huge problem from such a silly mistake.  

Anyhow I'm only too pleased to have helped with a solution for this problem merely by sharing my findings.

Good luck to all of you.

By the way my Curve 8900 stopped working on the zoom for the camera until I'd removed the battery and reset it from scratch.   Another booby trap it seems !

--

Plado

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Sprightly
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900

I know I'm months late to this thread, but I was searching for an answer as to why my Zoom stopped working all of a sudden (and now I've pulled the battery, so that's working again!), and saw this topic. I also had a heckuva time finding the speakerphone button (I'm right-handed, so it turns out my thumb was hovering over that part of the keyboard, obscuring it from view). It annoys me too that the most basic things have been overthought in the manuals. It's all fine & dandy to tell us to hit the Speakerphone key to use said option, but we all aren't RIM employees who are familiar with the device! We need to be shown where the danged thing is! I had the same issue with my iPod Touch - how to turn it off! The manual never explicitly said how to do it. I found the Sleep button, and the screen went black, so I assumed I'd turned it off, until I pulled it out one day to find it already on. I had to Google "Turn iPod Touch off" to learn that you have to press that Sleep button for 3 seconds for it to completely turn it off. That info was nowhere in the manual. It may sound stupid, but if you've never had one before, you can't be familiar with all the functions without being explicitly told about them!

Anyhoo, I was trying to figure out what the 1000x number on my screen while in camera mode was, and found this Curve 8900 Demo that shows what all the special keys are for, for anyone happening on this in the future: Curve 8900 Demo. It's under The Basics, then Device Tour.

And now I'm off to continue my search for the meaning of 1000x.

Please use plain text.