Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
Plado
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Spooky shortcut to Calculator that I can't find now - where is it hiding?

This morning I picked up my Curve 8900 and accidentally squeezed one or more of the keys when placing the phone in my shirt pocket and to my amazement the Calculator appeared on screen.

It was left last night on the main phone screen and the backlight went out as usual to save power.

I've looked for this odd shortcut all day and can't find what the combination was that instantly kick started the Calculator Application.

The manual says nothing about any shortcuts to the calculator so does anyone know if I've discovered a bug or a shortcut that isn't supposed to be there?

I'm fairly sure I wasn't making a multiple press by chance to return via the Esc key to the choice of menus and then moving the trackball to the Applications folder and then tracking again to the Calculator as I don't think that's possible on a random pressing of keys.

It's a real mystery. I hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks

Plado

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,748
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Spooky shortcut to Calculator that I can't find now - where is it hiding?

If you have Dial from Home Screen disabled, pressing the U key will activate the calculator.

To allow these short cuts to work, you must have "Dial from Home Screen" set to "No" (go to Phone dialer > Options > General Options.)

Here are some additional...

* (A)ddress Book
* (B)rowser
* (C)ompose Message
* Memo Pa(D)
* (E)nterprise Messenger v2
* Pro(F)iles
* (G)oogle Talk (only 3rd party app I know of that has this!)
* (H)elp
* Loc(K)
* Ca(L)endar
* (M)essages
* BlackBerry Messe(N)ger
* (O)ptions
* (P)hone * Enterprise Messenger (Q), or
* (S)earch
* (T)asks
* Calc(U)lator
* Sa(V)ed messages
* (W)AP Browser
* ToDoMatri(X) (3rd party app by RexWireless)
* (Y)ahoo messenger

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

Thank you for that detailed reply.  I'm sorry to say but the solution didn't work.

I tried to press U expecting it to bring up the Calculator and it only threw up Assign Speed Dial to this key.

I went to the menu part that offered Dial from home screen and it was set to YES and so I noted that you advised setting it to NO.

But when trying to return to the home screen and pressing U it still gave me assign speed dial and no calculator.

I returned to the Dial from home screen setting and put it back to YES as without it being set to that I couldn't dial any number, or at least I couldn't find out how to dial without pressing numbers on the keypad.

I nearly panicked when I couldn't return to the home screen dialling routine to reset the configuration but managed to get there by pressing the Green phone icon as if to connect.

I'm sorry but that menu trick didn't work.  Was this because I have not set any speed dials apart from one on the letter P?

I still haven't found a shortcut on the home screen to any applications via the keypad.

So back to the drawing board I'm sorry to say.

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
JSanders

lol, the homescreen dialing set to no shortcuts DO work.

And, you still get speed dialing, as well.

For the shortcut, you just tap the key U for Calculator, or A for Address Book.

For the speed dial, you press and hold two seconds the U for the U-speed dial or A for the A-speed dial.

I know it works.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

I'm sorry but it does not work the way you say.

I've just tested it on my 8900 and I pressed U briefly (tapped it as you said) it went straight to the first word containing a U in the address book.

I tapped A instead to try that and it applied Lock to the Keypad.

I press and hold U and I get add to speed dial

I tap A once and it goes to A entries in the address book.

How, may I ask is that providing me with the calculator shortcut ?   It certainly isn't on my Blackberry Curve.

Again it's back to the drawing board and try to track down this facility.  It ain't on the U key

--

Plado

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

JSanders wrote:

lol, the homescreen dialing set to no shortcuts DO work.

And, you still get speed dialing, as well.

For the shortcut, you just tap the key U for Calculator, or A for Address Book.

For the speed dial, you press and hold two seconds the U for the U-speed dial or A for the A-speed dial.

I know it works.

Here Joe,

In case you need to brush up.

http://www.stinsonddog.com/blackberry-shortcuts

:smileyvery-happy:

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

You're laughing out loud, but I'm not !
I know that the quick press of U produces the calculator when the phone is set to the state where Home Screen Dialling is set to NO or OFF.   But the point of my question initially was that a short cut to calculator happened when the phone was set to Home Screen Dialling ON / YES.

Ever since I've owned this phone, I've never turned off Home Screen Dialling as I found the facility useful and didn't know where to turn it off if I'd wanted to as your menu instructions were all new to me.

So the mystery is still there.  How did it open the calculator by a single accidental keypress when the phone was showing standby of the home screen and dialling was set to ON/Yes?

Something triggered it.  Was it a bug? Was it a gremlin? or is there a key sequence that you don't know about and neither does the Manual for the phone?

Thanks for your time.
Problem still not solved.

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Plado wrote:

Something triggered it.  Was it a bug? Was it a gremlin? or is there a key sequence that you don't know about and neither does the Manual for the phone?

Thanks for your time.
Problem still not solved.

Probably a gremilin, yes! There is no other shortcut of which I am aware (and I am aware of quite many).

I suspect you squeezed any key to open the home screen and maybe clicked the trackball on the calculator.

Or do you have one of your left or right convenience keys set to the calculator (options > Screen/Keyboard > Convenience keys. What are yours set to open?

If you discover a new shortcut, which is entirely possible , please let us know?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Plado

J Sanders you are a Genius extraordinaire!  I will mark your excellent detective work as the SOLUTION.

Yes I do have mine set to the LEFT convenience key bringing up Calculator.  I think the phone defaulted to that on first setup.  Though the phone was owned by someone before me, and I got mine free from my Mobile service provider and it was apparently a "returned" one.   It did have to be set up from scratch.   The right convenience key triggers the Camera which I liked, but I never investigated what the left one did !  lol at self !

So I just tested it and bingo! It brings up the Calculator.  You have solved the mystery and thank you very much.  I must have squeezed the phone a little too tightly when picking it up, to avoid dropping it in the dog's water bowl on the floor beside the table!   Squeezing the left key without realising it.

Now I can get the calculator without having to switch off Home Screen Dialling which is great.

I owe you a Pint of Best Bitter !
Cheers and Beers
--
Plado

Laurie Prior
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Plado wrote:
I owe you a Pint of Best Bitter !

Cheers and Beers
--
Plado

You are very very welcome. 

It's great when a thread like this doesn't get "cut-off" early and we "think" together. Thank you for pressing on us, too.

And, I'll take rain check on the bitters, it would be an enjoyable time.  :smileyhappy:

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.