Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Renoster
My Device: 9900 bold

Stolen bold with loads of confidential sms, contacts, call registers, ........

My BB bold has been stolen- despite passwords not east to crack my phone has requested a bbm contact to reinvite me - my name as invite - upon accepting invite a weirdo appeared as new bum friend. My concern is all confidential info is on phone include bank account detail, photos, sms, municipality acc details and old alerts, all contacts in the 100s. How do I hack my old bold and delete all details? Not concerned about phone but privacy of details? Pls
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Stolen bold with loads of confidential sms, contacts, call registers, ........

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please refer to this:

But, what is likely to have happened is that the password was entered wrongly too many times, and the device did wipe your data clean...and the person has started over with a new and clean BB. The invite is, I agree strange -- but there are likely many reasons it came through as it did. But, if your password was strong, then your data should have been safe. In any event, all you can do is discussed in that linked post.

Of course, to be prudent, you would want to change all passwords on all systems that you stored on the device...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Renoster

Re: Stolen bold with loads of confidential sms, contacts, call registers, ........

Hi much appreciate u taking the time to respond. My concern is my partner received a reinvite from my name (that would be my stolen phone). she was on my bbm before. I have stopped my cell number and it is off since two days. So it appears person must have bypassed my passwords? How else? I am highly concerned of confidential info on my phone as clearly this dude is on the prowel.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Without access to the device, there is no way to do anything but guess. Further, even if what you suspect did happen, the linked post above still contains all that you can do at this point.

What you really need to do is convince your carrier to blacklist that BB PIN as a stolen device...done properly, that would prevent any carrier in the world from providing that device with any BB-proprietary services at all, including BBM. Just blocking the phone number only blocks the use of voice services...but does nothing about data services. If your carrier cannot or will not do so, then you might want to consider paying to make your request directly to BlackBerry...you would do that via Incident Support:

Since you are indeed highly concerned, then you need to do as I already said...change all of your passwords everywhere, and perhaps even warn all of your contacts of this situation. But we simply cannot reverse engineer "why" this might have happened...indeed, we can't even know for sure that it happened at all...we have no access to anything that would provide any firm diagnosis in this matter.

Everything here is guesswork, supposition, and deduction...and does not serve to change the outcome. Only by you now doing those recommended actions can the damage be minimized.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Renoster

Hi I think I managed tonfigure out how my wife got a reinvite from my stolen phone. Whilst the thief was in possession of my phone she sent me a bbm which did not deliver. My bbm contact was still on her phone and we could see it did not deliver. A day later the bbm message could not find me (unclear of the reason) and she received a notice that I was no longer a bbm contact and that she had to reinvite me - which she did. Obviously the guy who had his own bbm going received her invite and accepted and off went my face from her phone and up came the bbm face of a stranger. I managed to get his bbm iid - still not sure what to do with it though? So i am still confused as to whether this dude has access to my info or not but he sure as he'll received my wife's reinvite and accepted it from his bbm Id ! Weird?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That theory is plausible...there are likely other equally possible scenarios. But, again, all still nothing more than an academic exercise to try and reverse engineer the "why" and "how" of what happened. The facts, however, are clear -- someone else has your BB now, and you need to take all prudent steps to safeguard things.

So, I am confused why you are "still not sure what to do with it though"...to me, your course of action is quite clear. You cannot know 100% if they have access to your data. The only 100% you can know is that you need to now do what has already been advised.

The longer you delay, the more likely the thief, if they do have access to your data, will do something evil with it.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.